Can you use tuners on 2008 F150's - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
F-150 2004 to 2008 Forum XL, XLT, STX, LARIAT, FX4, FX2

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 10:49 AM
fordnatic
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Can you use tuners on 2008 F150's

I just bought an 08 F150 about 3 months ago and am wondering if anyone has tried a tuner (SCT, Diablo, etc) on one. I was told due to timing issues because they can run 85 octane fuel that you can't use tuners or power adders. Is this true?
 
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 12:13 PM
 
truckpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Orleans, Ont
Posts: 1,710
I haven't heard anything like that before, I have a Gryphon on my '08 with great results so far. I am running an 87 Octane performance tune and the other tunes installed on the device are also 87 Octane.
I would recommend the Gryphon, and there are a few other guys on this site that also have them, but make your own decision.

truckpilot is offline  
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 01:10 PM
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordnatic View Post
I just bought an 08 F150 about 3 months ago and am wondering if anyone has tried a tuner (SCT, Diablo, etc) on one. I was told due to timing issues because they can run 85 octane fuel that you can't use tuners or power adders. Is this true?
First of all..........they cannot run E85 fuel unless it is actually the FFV E85 5.4 engine. If it is it will have a yellow E85 gas cap. My truck is a 2008 but it is not an FFV E85.
Secondly, if it is E85 capable, then you are correct.........a programmer is basically useless at this point.
pete74 is offline  
 
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-21-2008, 09:03 PM
 
fordtough.ca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: GTA
Posts: 7,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
First of all..........they cannot run E85 fuel unless it is actually the FFV E85 5.4 engine. If it is it will have a yellow E85 gas cap. My truck is a 2008 but it is not an FFV E85.
Secondly, if it is E85 capable, then you are correct.........a programmer is basically useless at this point.
Have to agree
I don't think Ford has any E85 5.4 engines in Canada at this point
But if you have one, than Pete is correct



100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
fordtough.ca is offline  
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 12:22 AM
 
tohi2care's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Maple Ridge, BC
Posts: 800
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckpilot View Post
I haven't heard anything like that before, I have a Gryphon on my '08 with great results so far. I am running an 87 Octane performance tune and the other tunes installed on the device are also 87 Octane.
I would recommend the Gryphon, and there are a few other guys on this site that also have them, but make your own decision.
Did you actually see a good boost in fuel mileage?
tohi2care is offline  
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 12:28 AM
 
fordtough.ca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: GTA
Posts: 7,721
fordtough.ca is offline  
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-22-2008, 12:29 AM
 
Northern Supercrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: watson lake, yukon
Posts: 4,280
Send a message via MSN to Northern Supercrew
i seem to be getting 2 more mpg's, but some of that may be that i put the 245-70-17's back on. will check highway next week.

2013 f150 Ecobeast
3.55 E locker
FX4 Screw
SSI tuned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Northern Supercrew is offline  
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 12:40 AM
 
LaredoRV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Tracadie-Sheila, New-Brunswick
Posts: 372
I know 2004 tuners can't work on 2007, my friends learned that when he traded is '04 FX4 for a '07 XTR last summer...


Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Chevy...
LaredoRV is offline  
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 12:50 AM
 
truckpilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Orleans, Ont
Posts: 1,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by tohi2care View Post
Did you actually see a good boost in fuel mileage?
It's noticeable once you install the tune, the truck's computer now shows an extra 110 kms to Empty, I now get 860 kms on a tank vice 740/750 without the tune. On the highway it is great, the performance is very noticeable and the extra range is welcome especially with the gas prices the way they are.
On a different thread I mentioned that my AVERAGE fuel mileage on a 2600 mile journey was just under 21 mpg. Not bad for a full size truck through the hills and around town.

truckpilot is offline  
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-23-2008, 01:02 AM
 
Northern Supercrew's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: watson lake, yukon
Posts: 4,280
Send a message via MSN to Northern Supercrew
just under 21 is incredible for a full size truck. who needs an econobox the best my truck has done is 840 km on the 30 gallon tank once. that was at 100-110 km and the throttlebody spacer and hypertech running 92 octane. made it from terrace BC to watson lake and had been running on LOW FUEL for awhile. had a gerry can for safety.

2013 f150 Ecobeast
3.55 E locker
FX4 Screw
SSI tuned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Northern Supercrew is offline  
Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2009 F150's hogdust F-150 2009 to 2014 Forum 7 10-20-2008 12:09 AM
Need info on tuners Justin1635 Programmers and Tunes 2 09-23-2008 08:00 AM
Ford Recalls 655,000 F150's Fordsy F-150 2004 to 2008 Forum 10 05-16-2008 07:54 AM
MEET PICTURES: Milton-May 2008 fordtough.ca Ontario 9 05-12-2008 09:53 PM
Show Your F150's Before/After SKRWZ F-150 2004 to 2008 Forum 3 02-08-2008 10:10 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome