Newb lookin' for some info - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
F-150 2004 to 2008 Forum XL, XLT, STX, LARIAT, FX4, FX2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Forum Newbie

Newb lookin' for some info

I guess I'll introduce myself first, for starters I've always driven imports (cars) and I'm looking for a change of scenery and am considering getting into a 05-06 Crew Cab 5.4l FX4 loaded. The truck I'm looking at is an 05 w/107,000km fully loaded and they are asking 16,888, what I came here to ask is what do you guys think a realistic offer would be for it. I've heard dealers letting trucks go for dirt cheap but how cheap I guess is my question.

Also is there anything I should be especially on the look out for while shopping? I know about the 5.4 spark plug issue, and plan to negotiate a change at time of sale into the deal, and I've heard that window regulators have issues too, are there any other common things to watch out for?

btw, I should mention it's REALLY nice to see a Canadian car forum, there aren't enough of them out there and it's so nice to be able to talk about local dealers/retailers/meets etc. Keep up the great work all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 06:02 PM

I will limit my reply to just welcome you to the site as there are many more knowledgeable members who will gladly answer your questions.
Good luck with the purchase

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 06:44 PM

Send a message via MSN to Northern Supercrew
Quote:
Originally Posted by the dougler View Post
I guess I'll introduce myself first, for starters I've always driven imports (cars) and I'm looking for a change of scenery and am considering getting into a 05-06 Crew Cab 5.4l FX4 loaded. The truck I'm looking at is an 05 w/107,000km fully loaded and they are asking 16,888, what I came here to ask is what do you guys think a realistic offer would be for it. I've heard dealers letting trucks go for dirt cheap but how cheap I guess is my question.

Also is there anything I should be especially on the look out for while shopping? I know about the 5.4 spark plug issue, and plan to negotiate a change at time of sale into the deal, and I've heard that window regulators have issues too, are there any other common things to watch out for?

btw, I should mention it's REALLY nice to see a Canadian car forum, there aren't enough of them out there and it's so nice to be able to talk about local dealers/retailers/meets etc. Keep up the great work all.
welcome Doug, sounds like a nice choice of pickup. the only 2 other things i can think of for those years are the recall for the brake booster hose and the service letter on the 5.4 injectors. they could stick open and hydrolock the engine. they are warrentied now to something like 192000 km. my last pickup was an 05 and only trouble i had was a rear wheel seal gone. fixed under warrenty. mine was an XL trim, so can't help on any other probs in the electrical part.

2013 f150 Ecobeast
3.55 E locker
FX4 Screw
SSI tuned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 07:27 PM

Welcome Doug!
I will be perfectly honest with you. I am not a salesman but.........I manage a company fleet of 45 trucks (mostly Fords) and I am very in tune with buying, selling, cost of maintenance, current pricing etc.
That truck is priced a little high for the amount of km's on it. 35km's per year is about 12km's over average. This would actually be considered "rough" in the black book, even if it looks to be in very reasonable shape.
Will you be financing this truck..........because there's a chance you could buy a brand new 08 with a lot of discounts and 0% financing if you are patient. The 09's will be hitting our lots in another 6-8 weeks (maybe sooner). The deals on 08's are gonna get a lot better yet, trust me. Your payment on an 08 might be smaller than on a used vehicle......just a thought!
If your heart is set on that truck......remember this, they probably bought it at the auction for about 11,900.00! Say they spent some money on it to safety it.....they still likely only have 13 into it. There's some wiggle room there, that's for sure!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 12:31 PM Thread Starter
Forum Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete74 View Post
Welcome Doug!
I will be perfectly honest with you. I am not a salesman but.........I manage a company fleet of 45 trucks (mostly Fords) and I am very in tune with buying, selling, cost of maintenance, current pricing etc.
That truck is priced a little high for the amount of km's on it. 35km's per year is about 12km's over average. This would actually be considered "rough" in the black book, even if it looks to be in very reasonable shape.
Will you be financing this truck..........because there's a chance you could buy a brand new 08 with a lot of discounts and 0% financing if you are patient. The 09's will be hitting our lots in another 6-8 weeks (maybe sooner). The deals on 08's are gonna get a lot better yet, trust me. Your payment on an 08 might be smaller than on a used vehicle......just a thought!
If your heart is set on that truck......remember this, they probably bought it at the auction for about 11,900.00! Say they spent some money on it to safety it.....they still likely only have 13 into it. There's some wiggle room there, that's for sure!
Well my intent is to pay cash, I'd love to get an 08 and finance it @ 0% but with the options I want it would be about 35k probably which is well beyond what I want to spend, If the incentive brought it down to 20k then I would probably pull the trigger, but I doubt they are taking that much off.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 02:24 PM

Welcome to the site. I don't know much about pricing but I know a guy who just bought an 04 250 SD diesel xlt for 14 with only 182,000km on it. Just an example.

1997 F-150 xl
1984 Honda XR200R (the toy)
2007 Honda CRF100f (the spare toy)
2005 Jayco Baja 10Y (the home away from home)

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode