Ford Tough - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts banner

Oil filter removal

4K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  JTSF150 
#1 ·
Has anyone changed their own oil in the 08 F-150? I opened the hood and found the filter to be hidden under the engine and looked awkward to remove. Do I have to remove anything to get to the filter? Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

Bill

#6 ·
I'm with you there. Just booked an appointment at the dealer and let them play with it, I'm sure they know what to do as they do it with all the new vehicles. It seemed to me that all factory car & bike filters are torqued very tight at the assembly line.

Thanks for the reply.

#5 ·
sounds like its as much of a pain in the ass as a 2000 with a 5.4/4x4 almost need kids hands and double jointed and xray vision to reinstall

it makes a mess but if you can get a screwdriver up there pop it through the case and turn then finish by hand

#9 ·
sounds like its as much of a pain in the ass as a 2000 with a 5.4/4x4 almost need kids hands and double jointed and xray vision to reinstall

it makes a mess but if you can get a screwdriver up there pop it through the case and turn then finish by hand

NOW THAT IS FUNNY!!!!
sorry had a visual of some dude all twisted up, wearing nightvision type goggles, hanging out from under his truck!!

#11 ·
i have an 06 5.4 and the first oil change was brutal. i picked up one of those plastic filter caps and used a 6 point socket on the cap. Tried a 12 point but rounded the end of the cap and ended up buying another one along with the 6 point socket at Canadian Tire and eventually got it off. I think they put them on in the factory without oiling the gasket and obviously very tight. I try and use the Fram filters with the grip on the top and put some oil on the gasket.

#12 ·
just a point i learned with fram filters (there are others aswell) thevalve in them to protect against a plug up (real dirty oil) is made of paper/cardboard type material. its ment to fail to keep oil to the engine incase of plugging up, well they fail even when not plugged up causing the oil to bybass the filter and not filter anything untill your next oilchange. the ford filters use a light metel/alum piece for the valve/flapper so they cant fail prematurly and they dontcost anymore then the frams if not less

i quit using frams on the spot once i found this out motorcraft is all ill use

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.