Grinding in front end - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
F-150 2004 to 2008 Forum XL, XLT, STX, LARIAT, FX4, FX2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Grinding in front end

I have noticed a grinding noise coming from the under the truck from time to time. Sounds like the font end. Im guessing hubs trying to lock in but no idea why. Definitely happens more commonly when the truck is cold. Problem Im facing is to make it stop, i pull over and stop. I get a loud clunk and than it is gone. The grinding is definitely speed sensitive. Im leaning towards hubs trying to lock in. Any other ideas or why it would be doing this? Plan on tearing into it tomorrow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 09:41 PM

Send a message via MSN to lumberjack
K I know what it is I already had this problem with my 2004 fx4 4x4 it's the actulater on either left or right side. What happens is it looses vaccum and causes it to try to engage to 4x4 when in 2wd. My dealer fixed mine at not cost as it was pending recall.

Lumberjack
2010 F150 Supercrew 4X4
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 07:32 AM Thread Starter

Good to hear, I was looking along those lines and going to ford to get some oil today anyway so Ill look into that. I wonder coiuld I test that at home with a vacuum pump? Id just like to verify the problem before taking it in.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 09:28 PM

Send a message via MSN to lumberjack
I'm not sure if there is a way to test it for sure. My dealer told me that my truck wasn't the only 1 they had to fix, the owner of the dealership had his truck in also getting the same problem fixed. If I remember the service guy told me they already fixed 4 trucks, and had 4 more to do.

Lumberjack
2010 F150 Supercrew 4X4
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-17-2010, 12:49 PM
Forum Newbie

The problem is likely the vac solenoid on the firewall behind the battery . The earlier ones tended to injest water
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-18-2010, 06:49 PM

I had the same problem - front end grinding noise. I would have to pull over then I would hear a couple of clunks then could get back on the road. Ford replaced an actuator assembly; tube assembly; valve assembly. Total Cost $646.89
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 07:31 PM
Arn
Apprentice

Switch it into 4wd. If the grinding goes away then it is probably the actuator trying to engage the 4wd because of vacuum loss. If you still have the grinding then your problem is not yet solved.

Arn
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Well last winter I cleaned everything out blew out all the lines, tore down the hubs and all was well for the rest of winter. Low and behold it started again yesterday. Starting to think there is excessive moisture in a solenoid except the grinding only comes on when I push the throttle like kicking down to pass which leads me to believe bad vaccuum seal somewhere. Holds vac. until sudden vac loss from engine, seal cant maintain, boom...partial engagement of hub(s). Someone mentioned a recall. Is there any truth to this? Or is it a TSB?
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-27-2010, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebronc View Post
Well last winter I cleaned everything out blew out all the lines, tore down the hubs and all was well for the rest of winter. Low and behold it started again yesterday. Starting to think there is excessive moisture in a solenoid except the grinding only comes on when I push the throttle like kicking down to pass which leads me to believe bad vaccuum seal somewhere. Holds vac. until sudden vac loss from engine, seal cant maintain, boom...partial engagement of hub(s). Someone mentioned a recall. Is there any truth to this? Or is it a TSB?
there is a 1way check valve coming from engine vaccuum,ive changed many of these.

a moments silence for the shelbyx,i hope her new owner enjoys as much.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 08:49 AM Thread Starter

Ill look at that today. There would be nothing special preventing that from being tested like any other check valve?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode