NEED HELP: ASAP-truck won't start - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
F-150 2004 to 2008 Forum XL, XLT, STX, LARIAT, FX4, FX2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

ASAP-truck won't start

Well that time of year again. Temps fell down below -30c(-47 windchill) last night and didn't realize it wasn't going to get that cold so didn't bother plugging in. Have been plugged in all morning/afternoon. Now go to try start it the key wouldn't turn. The steering wheel is straight centered so shouldn't be locked. I have tried using the command start also and it does the first beep to signal engeaged, then when it is going to try start it it beeps twice instead of turning over the engine.

Have tried boosting it with another truck, key still wouldn't turn, and the command start does the same thing. Any ideas what it can be, how to solve this? Got to go work night shift in about 3 1/2 hours so would like to get it resolved. Also cannot put it into neutral as the key won't turn so cannot bring it in to a shop.

Last edited by Arctic F-150; 11-21-2010 at 09:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Well I finally manage to start it with the command start but went to put the key in and ignition key still won't turn. Will let it warm up and see if it will turn once it warms up. On a side note, after it started and had power steering the wheel turned then locked into place.

Have tried for about 20 minutes earlier by command start, boosting, boosting with command start and still wouldn't start, went to try again and it started first shot with command start.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 07:04 PM

Send a message via MSN to 4X4 EH
-30 mutherpussbucket...

brrrr

Sorry I don't have anything to add to assist but I am curious on the 'command start' you wrote about.

I have no idea what that is.

-30 man, that is not nice.

SOLD - 2006 FX4 s/cab- ; MBRP exhaust, ARE tonneau cover, K&N CAI
2003 Mach 1
2012 Shelby GT500

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 07:15 PM

Send a message via MSN to Northern Supercrew
Why'de you break your truck Darryl...i haven't had this prob..I know sometimes the wheel will lock and the key will not turn until the steering is turned a little to take the "bind" off...but this has only happened while shut off..can't think why it would happen after it's running..keep us posted..-30 here almost too

2013 f150 Ecobeast
3.55 E locker
FX4 Screw
SSI tuned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Hey Glen, nice to hear from ya. Haven't been on here for a while since truck has been great. Yes it is damn cold and forecast was saying -20c so didn't plug in since it works 20 about -25c without plugged in way the f#%k up here.

Will after leaving it on for about 20 minutes the key finally manage to turn. The wheel wasn't locked but the ignition key for some was reading that the steering wheel was locked. Thats a first I have seen. (but it had locked after I got the truck to start when trying to shimmy the wheel around to see if ignition would unlock) Key finally unlocked when the cabin got up to temp and with some lightly turning the wheel at where it was locked (sorta like tapping the wheel at where it was locked)

Tried calling road side assistance and they were no help. All they said was nearest dealer is 400 miles away so guess you have to figure it out on your own (one of the lovely perks of living in the middle of nowhere). And dealership where I got it from was already closed and the techs there are always helpful with there time over the phone to help me sort it out if I have a problem.

My guess is when parked it last night the wheel might have turned a bit and didn't fully lock the steering wheel but only the ignition key locked? Then when went to it before guess it was reading key was locked but the wheel wasn't? I guess No Idea. Hope that was the last of it.

4X4 EH wrote:
"Sorry I don't have anything to add to assist but I am curious on the 'command start' you wrote about."

The command start I was talking about is the remote start attached to your key if your truck comes with that feature. Not sure what it is actually called so used command start since it starts on command.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-20-2010, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic F-150 View Post
4X4 EH wrote:
"Sorry I don't have anything to add to assist but I am curious on the 'command start' you wrote about."

The command start I was talking about is the remote start attached to your key if your truck comes with that feature. Not sure what it is actually called so used command start since it starts on command.
Thanks man. Mine is a cheapie, no remote start.

2003 Mach 1
2012 Shelby GT500
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 12:09 AM

Glad to hear you got it going.

Weird stuff can happen once it gets that cold. I've never seen that particular problem, but I've had stuff happen like doors not latching shut, being super-hard to shift gears, or having almost no suspension. Metal and plastic contract, rubber turns into concrete, and things get brittle.

Maybe keep a hairdryer and a long extension cord handy to gently heat up the steering column, in case it happens again. A cheap Walmart type hairdryer is your pal for a lot of these types of problems.

Failing that, a big canvas tarp and a Herman Nelson.

If Princess Auto were a real girl, I'd ask her to marry me.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4000 View Post
Glad to hear you got it going.

Weird stuff can happen once it gets that cold. I've never seen that particular problem, but I've had stuff happen like doors not latching shut, being super-hard to shift gears, or having almost no suspension. Metal and plastic contract, rubber turns into concrete, and things get brittle.

Maybe keep a hairdryer and a long extension cord handy to gently heat up the steering column, in case it happens again. A cheap Walmart type hairdryer is your pal for a lot of these types of problems.

Failing that, a big canvas tarp and a Herman Nelson.
I hear ya. My door wasn't latching shut during that time and would only latch when slammed hard. And on my snowmobile when I used it to go get work truck to give it a boost the shocks were frozen stiff like had a metal bracket instead of a shock. Now for days like today the shocks may take about 15 minutes of gentle riding till they warm up and get loose. Have a hair dryer handy already for the snowmobile just for days like this as trying to pull the polaris 900 that size a bore after couple pulls like it was today can really tire you out. I don't even go out jumping in temps like this as learned the hard way, broken sliders, slider arms, etc can make that metal really brittle. At one time I broke a shock while out camping about 100-120 miles from home and lucky there was an old exploration camp a couple miles away so went there found a metal plate about 15" long and drilled that to fit the sled. Luck they were quonset huts (half circle) and wasn't locked so found one shop which had generator and tools so was able to drill holes. Damn I wouldn't wish that kind of ride on anyone. No front shock on one side so the bumps were hard. That 100 miles felt like I did a 1000 mile ride. Just glad it wasn't one of my rear shocks. Now I travel with a spare front and rear.

Anyways got to love these days. Ice in the lakes are getting thicker so just about time to go travelling with the snowmobile and sled.

Edit- Sorry to get off topic but getting the camping fever. If interested here are some pics of sleds we use. These pics are just day trip load with a box for the family to ride in. If going out hunting we take box off, strap don gas in the back and camping gear and whatever else we may need in from of it and cover with a tarp. If images doesn't show they are in my album.

Last edited by Arctic F-150; 11-21-2010 at 02:12 AM.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 07:31 AM

Your photos are great!

If Princess Auto were a real girl, I'd ask her to marry me.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4000 View Post
Your photos are great!
+1 !!

2003 Mach 1
2012 Shelby GT500

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode