4x4 ? - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
F-150 2004 to 2008 Forum XL, XLT, STX, LARIAT, FX4, FX2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-21-2010, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

4x4 ?

so first time i go to put it in 4x4 for the snow this year and something isnt right. put it in neutral, elec 4x4 switch, put it in 4 hi, i can hear the solenoid or whatever it is up front moving, so it does sound like its engaging, but the 4x4 just seems like shit, like its not even working, if i stomp on it, i can hear the front wheels moving and it seems like there catching, but i can definitely tell something isnt right. It seems more like 3x4. if i have it in drive and 4x4, complete stand still, switch it back to 2lo, and then stomp on it, it immediately grabs and feels like its giving full tilt 4x4. Anyone know what the hell is going on? im gonna check the front diff fluid in the morning, but i dont understand why it seems like it engages the front when i switch it back into 2lo. And if i shift it into neutral, it drops the front out again. sorry if that sounds kinda ****ed but ive been drinkning all day lol

"The Dark Knight"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 10:19 PM

check the vac hoses at each wheel.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2010, 10:45 PM

Send a message via MSN to Viper238
Not sure.

My '05 4x4. I drove it up on a snow bank and got stuck..
Due to the Open diffs. Only 2 tires were spinning and couldn't get down..

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper238 View Post
Not sure.

My '05 4x4. I drove it up on a snow bank and got stuck..
Due to the Open diffs. Only 2 tires were spinning and couldn't get down..
Eventually it will come down by itself.
May take a few months, though.

If Princess Auto were a real girl, I'd ask her to marry me.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4000 View Post
Eventually it will come down by itself.
May take a few months, though.
Haha.

Wise guy

VMP and 5-Star tuned no more

Buy a hybrid my truck needs your gas
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2010, 07:52 PM

Send a message via MSN to lumberjack
Well if your disengaging the 4x4 the manual says to shift it at low speed or a stand still then reverse in a straight line slowly for it to disengage, it you just switch it from 4hi to 2wd and step on it the 4wd didn't have time to disengage. As for not feeling like it is in 4wd I'd check the vaccum hoses at each wheel and make sure there's no holes or cracks allowing 1 not to engage. There is a problem with the boot around the axel end which ford knows about which in 2wd mode your truck will make a grinding noise as if the 4wd is trying to engage, when this boot leaks it won't allow your truck to go in 4x4 mode, I had this fixed on my 05 f150 4x4 xlt

Lumberjack
2010 F150 Supercrew 4X4
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2010, 09:13 AM

Garage
Try it when you're not all pissed up and see how it works then maybe? lol

801A - 6550 lb bundle of joy
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Ok UPDATE.

so i brought it in gave it a wash underneath and checked some stuff out. basically im out in the middle of nowhere right now, not gonna be able to see a dealer for another few weeks as im out of the city on vacation and i would like to have 4x4 out here so if i can fix this myself then great.

anyway, i pulled the im assuming filler plug on my front diff, it was on passenger side about 1/2 way up the diff, opened it and couldnt feel any fluid with my finger, so if that plug is a filler plug then it should be full up to the level of that hole correct? fluid color was a milky white, this also tells me there is water in there, unless the diff fluid is white? I know for a fact neither of these diffs have EVER been submerged in water, or even super wet aside from the rain. So basically i have what looks like a half empty front diff with milky white fluid in it. Its been parked in the same garage every night and i know its never leaked out any diff fluid in the 2 years ive had it.

So if im right, its low on fluid, ill get some 80w 90 which the manual says should be in there (1.8L) is there a drain plug on the front diff? i never saw one, so im guessing the diff cover has to be taken off to drain the fluid.. if i do this is the seal going to be ok for re-use?

And now on to the other part, i checked the vacuum lines going to each front tire. Had girlfriend in the drivers seat helping me out.

Started truck in park, 2Lo, - pulled off each vac line (2 on each tire) and felt no suction

she put it in 4Hi while truck running in park - still no suction on any of the lines

switched it back into 2Lo with truck still in park and no shifting gears - Passenger side vac line now has suction, feels very strong, go over to the drivers side and pull vac line off and there is no suction.

So in short, no suction on any of the lines until you switch it to 4Hi, then back to 2Lo. Im no expert but it seems like thats not how its supposed to work. If Shelby or anyone else can help me out here id be so happy.

thanks everyone

"The Dark Knight"
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 07:13 PM

Send a message via MSN to lumberjack
To start if you pull the front diff cover the gasket is NOT reuseable so hope you have a tube of silicon ( blue ) to put on the cover when you reinstall it. As for no vaccum on any of the hoses seems there is a blockage or your switch isn't engaging to make vaccum, but as I said before there is a boot leak that causes the 4x4 not to work it's a ford recall, personelly I wouldn't screw around with the vaccum lines anymore and let ford fix it. But remember to clean your front diff after you pull the cover.

Lumberjack
2010 F150 Supercrew 4X4
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-26-2010, 08:49 PM

Is it a recall on the boots or just a TSB? Im having a similar problem with mine where when I stuff the throttle (especially now that its cold out) you can hear the front hub trying to partially engage. This tells me that something is causing a very small leak and not allowing it to maintain vaccuum. Been happening off and on so its hard to pinpoint the issue when your chasing gremlins.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode