NEED HELP: Help Please P061B code - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
F-150 2004 to 2008 Forum XL, XLT, STX, LARIAT, FX4, FX2

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-02-2011, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Help Please P061B code

I was driving my 06 4.6l with 4hi on today cause I live in Alberta(go ahead, let the roasting begin). Anyway, at one point I noticed a hesitation as if it shifted into one gear lower. then I also noticed the "wrench" light came on as well. Came home plug in the OBD2 and got a P061B code with no other code.
search the www and see that it is a calculation error by the PCM which caused the "limp home mode". Start the truck and now the light is off. put it in 2hi, works fine, back in 4hi, works fine. checked all gears and it is shifting into each gear fine.
seach this forum with no details on the code except for the definition. I think it might have to do with the 4hi but I test drove it for several km and it seems ok now.
Anyone got experience with this? should I erase the code and forget about it? someone from another forum said it is save to clear code as it is likely just a computer glitch.
ps. the truck is stock, meaning no programmer or tunes.
thanks in advance, simon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 02:01 PM

I might be able to help. My scanner has code definitions plus diagnostic information to find out what might be wrong, also, real world expirience from other techs on what they have found to be a common issue, if any. I'll investigate and see if there is anything I can report.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 02:08 PM

that code is for the throttle acuator control(tac),remove air inlet and check for frozen throttle plates,there is a tsb for p0600 codes to reprogram pcm,this may help the icing up of the throttle plates(has a deicing stategy)

a moments silence for the shelbyx,i hope her new owner enjoys as much.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-03-2011, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Tim>if you are able to help further that would be great. truely appreciate it.
Shelby>the only code I get is a P061B. P0600 is a "serial Communication Link Malfunction" according to http://www.automotivetroubleshooting...e%20reader.htm
if it has to do with the TAC, shouldn't it call up a p21XX code as well? Not doubting what you are saying, just really confused with all these codes.
Any further info would be awesome and thank you.

Just looked thru the tbs, wow what a list. so how does dealer "usually" handle the cost of some of these tbs. I asked cause my shift cable went 2000km after warrentee and dealer wouldn't absorb the cost. To me isn't that a safty issue which should be covered by Ford Canada? The parking brake I can see as it isn't exactly a safety concern.

Last edited by simonw; 01-03-2011 at 03:05 PM.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-04-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonw View Post
Tim>if you are able to help further that would be great. truely appreciate it.
Shelby>the only code I get is a P061B. P0600 is a "serial Communication Link Malfunction" according to http://www.automotivetroubleshooting...e%20reader.htm
if it has to do with the TAC, shouldn't it call up a p21XX code as well? Not doubting what you are saying, just really confused with all these codes.
Any further info would be awesome and thank you.

Just looked thru the tbs, wow what a list. so how does dealer "usually" handle the cost of some of these tbs. I asked cause my shift cable went 2000km after warrentee and dealer wouldn't absorb the cost. To me isn't that a safty issue which should be covered by Ford Canada? The parking brake I can see as it isn't exactly a safety concern.
sorry should have been p06xx codes there are a number of codes contained in the tsb,as for after warranty sometimes you can get after warranty assistance for larger repairs(if you are in good standing with the dealer)and a simple reprogram should only be 1/2 hour.

a moments silence for the shelbyx,i hope her new owner enjoys as much.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-08-2011, 11:46 PM

Hello, sorry it took so long to back on this issue. Well then. My scanner does not have a P061B listing, it lists the following closest to your code. P0606, P060B, P0611, P061C, P0620, and so on. I looked at them all and it seems that the P061C seems to match what everybody else is taking about.

DTC P061C - Internal Control Module Engine RPM Performance.

Description: Indicates a calculation error occured in the powertrain Control module (PCM); This DTC is set in combination with P2106.

Possible causes: Crankshaft position (CKP) sensor;
CKP sensor circuit is open or shorted CKP sensor circuit intermittent damaged CKP sensor camshaft position (CMP) sensor. CMP sensor circuit is open or shorted CMP sensor circuit intermittent damaged CMP sensor damaged PCM;

Diagnostic aids:
After each step return to this diagnostic AID for direction. Do not install a New PCM until the following steps are completed; verify correct operation of the CKP sensor and related circuits go to pinpoint test jd . Verify correct operation of the CMP sensor and related circuits go to pinpoint test DR . Clear the PCM DTCs road test vehicle; Use the customer information to recreate the concern. If the concern or DTC is still present, install a New PCM refer to flash electrically erasable programmable read only memory (EEPROM).

P2106 - Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) system - forced limited power.

Description:;
The TAC system is in the failure mode effects management (FMEM) mode of forced limited power. This DTC indicates the FMEM action is in effect due to a failure in an electronic throttle Control (ETC) related component or module;

Diagnostic aids:
This DTC is an informational DTC and may be set in combanation with a number of other DTCs which are causing the FMEM. Diagnose other DTCs first.

Ok, that was all copied verbatum out of the scanner, and I know some of it has poor grammer and is hard to read. Now, I hope this is the code you're having trouble with, but without linking my scanner up and getting more acurate information please don't take all this information as gospel.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 07:06 PM

mine does it on manual up shift some times ( 1-2 ) i just pop in in neutral turn truck off, restart put back in drive, wile still driving down the road. lol

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'. -Homer Simpson
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-10-2011, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGPHIL View Post
mine does it on manual up shift some times ( 1-2 ) i just pop in in neutral turn truck off, restart put back in drive, wile still driving down the road. lol
Hypermiling much?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-16-2011, 05:59 PM Thread Starter

thanks guys. since my code is so general and its been driving fine since then. I think I will start by cleaning the THrottle body and the tac sensor and go from there. trying to keep an eye on fuel milage but with -22c its kinda difficult to see where its at. if I do find something i will for sure let you all know. thanks again.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 01-19-2011, 12:13 PM
Forum Newbie

Angry Same Cod P061B

2007 F-150, 4.6L, I'm having similar problems. Started by noticing hesitation, especially on colder days. The wrench on the dash came on. After shutting it off and running again, the wrench light went out. I chocked it up to bad gas. Put dry gas in and it seemed to get better. Of course the temperatures went up some too so that may have had an effect on it. It happened again, i switched gas suppliers, and it happened again and it didn't seem as cold out. Yesterday, my son was driving it and both the wrench and engine lights came on. Had VIP pull the code. They had limited info. Said it could be an injector wire or possible air sensor but that's all they could see. I'm hoping this is an easy(cheap) fix or covered by Ford. I saw some posts re; tsb's. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode