Tire change Which one? - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
Super Duty Forum ALL YEARS ALL MODELS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 02:51 PM Thread Starter

Tire change Which one?

Hi guys,

i have to change tires 20" on my 2009 F250. For now i have the Wranglers on it and there are not too bad but also, i never tried anything else... I have a 8' box in the back and i would need something really good especially for winter but i dont do any off road. Any suggestions?

Thanks

William!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-24-2011, 10:18 PM

Send a message via MSN to lumberjack
Well all dpends on what your looking for in a tire, do you carry alot in the box ? do you tow ? The Goodyear wangler durtrac is a nice tire but with you running 20's all tires no matter what brand you go with is gonna cost you.

Lumberjack
2010 F150 Supercrew 4X4
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 10:08 AM

Garage
Pretty wide open for discussion William, like Grant said, depends on what you need.

Doesn't Quebec have legislation in place that all vehicles are to have winter rated (Snowflake emblem on the sidewall) tires on all four corners?

Can't say for certain, so you'll have to enlighten me, but that may play into any decision you go with...no sure if the legislation is in place, or how well it's enforced.

801A - 6550 lb bundle of joy

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

OK so to resume better... I do not TOW, ALMOST EVER i have heavy stuff in my box,i do not OFF ROAD but i would like to keep control on the snow.

Thanks

William!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT4MT View Post
Pretty wide open for discussion William, like Grant said, depends on what you need.

Doesn't Quebec have legislation in place that all vehicles are to have winter rated (Snowflake emblem on the sidewall) tires on all four corners?

Can't say for certain, so you'll have to enlighten me, but that may play into any decision you go with...no sure if the legislation is in place, or how well it's enforced.
Yes in fact Quebec Leg. demands that the tires that are made for snow, to have a SNOW FLAKE and/or to be designed for snow.

Thanks

William!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 01:07 PM

There are quite a few all terrain tires like BFG AT T/A KO and GY Duratracs that have the severe snowflake designation....although they don't perform as well as true winter tires in winter conditions IMO. Personally, based on my experience with BFG AT T/A KO on my 4x2 Mazda including several hundred pounds of sand bags, they typically don't perform as well as true winter tires. It got bad enough (got stuck 10 times one winter while driving around the city) that I had to get a set of inexpensive studded winter tires....which worked much better than the BFG AT. My city gets around 235 cm of snow on an average year....similar amount to Ottawa and Montreal.

IMO, the biggest difference is the rubber. True winter tires stay soft in colder temperatures vs. all terrain tires. Also, they have much more siping than AT tires and can be studded for icy conditions. Studs, where legally allowed (eg. studs are NOT allowed in southern Ontario), need to be installed when the tires are new. I had paid about $20 per tire for the added studs.

Dave

2010 Ford Ranger FX4
Armaguard sprayed on bed liner
Truxedo Low Pro QT tonneau cover
Studded General Altimax Arctic P245/75-16 winter tires on black steelies
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 02:27 PM

Send a message via MSN to herbz
BFG's or Duratracs. They are gonna be pricey though being you have a 20" rim.

2016 F150 XLT XTR 4x4 2.7 Ecoboost
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 05:04 PM

Garage
Speaking of the BFG AT T/A KO's - I thought they sucked in the snow, and I'll go one further to say they do not have the snowflake emblem on them....

They might be rated "M+S" , but after putting up with them after taking delivery in January, I ordered a set of Blizzak's for next winter and mounted them up on my anthracite wheels.

The tread pattern is too chunky for snow and ice, and the 315/70's "snowplow" the front end, even in 4 high.

Don't get me wrong, they're fantastic tires three seasons out of four, and maybe there are those that have the snowflake on them, but shop carefully.

In a perfect world, it's nice to have dedicated summers and winters, but I gather you're looking for a good all around tire?

801A - 6550 lb bundle of joy
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 05:23 PM

As noted below, most BFG AT T/A KO tires have the snowflake symbol...but not all.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....rrain+T%2FA+KO

I thought that the BFG AT were barely adequate in snow, but poor on ice. Also, they are somewhat noisy when gravel get stuck in the treads in the other three seasons. They are very popular among 4x4 enthusiasts....especially those who do a bit of off roading. But they are very pricey.

What's your tire size....275/65-20?

Dave

2010 Ford Ranger FX4
Armaguard sprayed on bed liner
Truxedo Low Pro QT tonneau cover
Studded General Altimax Arctic P245/75-16 winter tires on black steelies
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2011, 07:57 PM

Send a message via MSN to lumberjack
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....autoModel=F250 XLT 4x4&autoModClar=Super Cab

Read the review on this tire.
Lea en español

Read this page in English

The Wrangler DuraTrac is Goodyear's On-/Off-Road Commercial Traction light truck tire developed for the drivers of multipurpose full-sized pickups, vans, sport utility and commercial vehicles looking for tires that play hard and work harder. The Wrangler DuraTrac is designed to be a versatile tire offering off-road competence in dirt, gravel and mud with on-road composure in dry, wet and wintry conditions.

Lumberjack
2010 F150 Supercrew 4X4

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode