Dead truck - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
Super Duty Forum ALL YEARS ALL MODELS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

Dead truck

During the cold snap last week something happened to my truck. Worked great until i tried to start it one very cold morning.

It did not start cause the starter would not turn over fast enough. took the wife's car and thought nothing of it except that i'd have to wait for it to warm up a bit.

Tried to start it yesterday, 0 degrees C and it turned over even slower than before and still did not start. checked the voltage on the batteries and they were very low 12.01v so i just assumed that i killed the charge trying to start it the other day in the cold.

Brought home some jumper cables from work and hooked wife's car to the truck for a bit when i tried to start it turned over faster but still not fast enough, while it was cranking the dash lights started to flash very fast. Stopped cranking and the engine on my wife's car started to bog down like it was about to stall from the strain even though i was not cranking anymore. When i removed the jumper cables there was a nice spark as if there was a short somewhere.

Suggestions on where to start troubleshooting? Intuition says the alternator has some sort of short perhaps causing a huge drain during cranking, is this where you would start.

Betsie has been a great machine to me so far i'd hate to think less of her. Help please.

2003 F350 Super Cab XLT 6.0L
Smokers exhaust attached to Cab
4.5 lift
35" tires
Her name is "Betsie"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 11:12 PM

If the batteries were drained very low in extreme cold they may have frozen and that would fault them. You should remove them from the chain and try starting.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 11:39 PM Thread Starter

its a place to start. Needed to get new ones soon anyway.

4.5 lift
35" tires
Her name is "Betsie"

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 11:46 PM

not plugged in at -30
are you new. thou its been a mild winter so far.

Really? Its the Internet take it easy.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2012, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

It was plugged in but the plug was faulty must have pulled it too hard last time i unplugged it.

I had to start it last year a couple times around the same temp far from electrcity. I am not new but a little dumb perhaps

4.5 lift
35" tires
Her name is "Betsie"
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx6rrdan View Post
If the batteries were drained very low in extreme cold they may have frozen and that would fault them. You should remove them from the chain and try starting.
If your batteries are bulged out on the ends they froze and are history.

Such is life. Just passing through.

04 F150 FX4 Screw 5.4 with couple of mods
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 02:31 AM

I know when my starter went on mine it did some wierd stuff to the gauges and lights... but I guess thats what happens when it welds itself together.

2007 F350 6.0L Ext cab short box 4x4
2000 F150 5.4L Reg cab short box 2wd
?? always looking for a new ford project !
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 11:04 AM Thread Starter

Looks like i start with batteries then starter then alternator i guess.

Won't be able to get to it for 2 weeks, on my way to Oklahoma for work. Keep the the ideas coming tho

4.5 lift
35" tires
Her name is "Betsie"
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 09:52 PM

Jason, this may be a bit long but here goes. For two winters I have been chasing a similar problem on my wife's Taurus. When it is -30 to -40 it won't start and dash lights flash and also a clicking sound under dash. Had it towed to shop and instead of them doing checks while cold they waited until next morning and tried the key. Started right up. Battery was weak so replaced it anyway. Replaced starter because was told these ones sometimes get moisture in and freeze up when cold. Then checked all connections and grounds plus alt. All good. Next time went to -35, guess what? I think my problem may be in the interface between my Viper remote starter and ignition but at -30 to -40 I am not about to start pulling plastic panels off dash. Good luck finding your problem. Let everybody know what you find.
Glen

Such is life. Just passing through.

04 F150 FX4 Screw 5.4 with couple of mods
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-24-2012, 10:21 PM

Send a message via MSN to Lone Ranger
My bet would be on your batteries. Insufficient voltage will do odd things to your truck, and you wife's car's charging system is completely inadequate to supply the amount of power a diesel truck needs.

My suggestion would be to throw the jumper cables on the truck and leave it for AT LEAST 15 or 20 min to put a proper charge into the batteries, disconnect them and then try again so you're not bogging down the car and trying to pull 1000 amps through your poor jumper cables. I've had the block heater thing happen to me too, moisture in the GFI plug for the block heater froze and popped the plug, came out in -18 to my truck solid cold... oops. LR

Matt T.

'09 Ford Ranger FX4 with a mean owner

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode