E40D erratic shifting problem SOLVED finally - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
Super Duty Forum ALL YEARS ALL MODELS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Forum Newbie

Smile E40D erratic shifting problem SOLVED finally

I have a 97 F250 HD 4x4 wiht 210k miles whic I have had for a year or two. I use it only for pulling a 10,000 lb trailer. Shortly after buying it, I noticed that it would go into an intermittent mode where it would sfift hard and the the shifts would be sloppy with lots of revving between hard lockups. THis was accompanied by flashing of th eOD inicator on the shift lever, and the cruise would quit working. I changed the tranny oil and filter. The previous fleet owners must have had it rebuilt, as it was clean enough to eat out of; unusual with a vehicle with 200k miles. I then changed the speed sensor in the rear end, and after that checked the harnes and all connections fromt he speed sensor to the firewall, and they all looked like new and the problem persisted. I read abou the module on the back of th speedo cluster causing these syptoms and swapped it for one out of my identical parts truck. (I cleaned all fo the contacts fromt he speedo module while I was at it but they were pretty clean to start with, so I think that was of little value.) The problem is gone and it has not reappeared in 2,000 miles. I hope that this may be of help to others withthe E40D, as I have seen lots fo complaints similar to mine.

Regards, Ron.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 03:23 PM

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode