Trailer haulin - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
Super Duty Forum ALL YEARS ALL MODELS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Trailer haulin

So this spring i'll be buying a fifth wheel to pull behind my 08 SD do any of you use any kinda of suspension help? :ie airbag system spring kits.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 07:13 PM

That will depend on a couple of things.
#1 does your truck have the override helper springs? (the extra 2 leafs that sit a couple of inches above the main spring pack). This was part of certain suspention options. If so, it will take a lot of 5th wheel to flatten out your 250/350.
#2 What will the pin weight be of the 5th wheel you want to tow? Even without helper springs, you should find anything under 2000lbs acceptable but that is entirely up to your comfort level for towing.
If help in the rear is needed, air bags do work great to stiffen things up back there, I would recommend the Firestone ride rites. There are 2 models for the SuperDuty, one bolts onto the outside of the frame rails but can interfere with certain hitches, the other mounts more inboard. I have used the outboard ones on a couple of my past trucks and had no problems when using the 5th wheel rail kit by Reese or Valley etc.
If you will be leaving from home with your unit & returning with it and unhooking at the end of the trip and not doing a lot of drivingbobtail while away, you should be able to get away without buying the compressor kit & guage as long as you have an airsource at home to inflate them before you leave. If you do add them, remember NEVER run them empty, always leave 5 or 10lbs air in them.
The other less expensive choice is the Timbren rubber spacers. I have not tried them but I have heard people really like them.
Good luck with your choices!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2009, 07:26 PM

Send a message via MSN to BMac
Phil basically summed it up!

2011 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 5.0 Golden Bronze Metallic
2002 Ford F350 Super Duty(Sold)
1977 Ford Early Bronco
2009 Victory Jackpot

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 10:15 AM

With our experience and been installing more and more 5th wheel because snow is melting we recommend supersrpings. There like adding a extra leaf but doesn't give you the really stiff ride.

I would stay away from airbags. Alot of problem can occur...bags tearing, line breaking etc...
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 05:23 PM

I have had great luck with bags, they were on my 99 & 04 (over 450K between the two trucks using the same bags) never a leak, never a bag problem. I understand this experience is only one set of bags, but I have been in the RV industry for 23 years and have not heard of any issues from dealers. My airbags are laying in my garage and I wouldn't hesitate to install them on my current truck if the truck needed them. Are the problem bags more related to Airlift vs Firestones? The Airlift do not look as well built to me (just an opinion, not based on fact, they look more like they are designed for the guys slamming their rides. The nice part of using bags is your ride harshness is unaffected until you air them up. I have contemplated removing some leafs to soften up the ride, then using the bags for carrrying any loads. Just sharing my experience and opinions, I have no affilliation with Firestone
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2009, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post
That will depend on a couple of things.
#1 does your truck have the override helper springs? (the extra 2 leafs that sit a couple of inches above the main spring pack). This was part of certain suspention options. If so, it will take a lot of 5th wheel to flatten out your 250/350.
#2 What will the pin weight be of the 5th wheel you want to tow? Even without helper springs, you should find anything under 2000lbs acceptable but that is entirely up to your comfort level for towing.
If help in the rear is needed, air bags do work great to stiffen things up back there, I would recommend the Firestone ride rites. There are 2 models for the SuperDuty, one bolts onto the outside of the frame rails but can interfere with certain hitches, the other mounts more inboard. I have used the outboard ones on a couple of my past trucks and had no problems when using the 5th wheel rail kit by Reese or Valley etc.
If you will be leaving from home with your unit & returning with it and unhooking at the end of the trip and not doing a lot of drivingbobtail while away, you should be able to get away without buying the compressor kit & guage as long as you have an airsource at home to inflate them before you leave. If you do add them, remember NEVER run them empty, always leave 5 or 10lbs air in them.
The other less expensive choice is the Timbren rubber spacers. I have not tried them but I have heard people really like them.
Good luck with your choices!
Yes i have one extra spring above the spring pack is there also another package with 2 springs above the pack?
You mentioned the firestone bags that what i was looking at that sounds like the best option seeings how it's a bolt on system,
i guess i will know forsure when i'm hocked up if i need any help, Thanks guys for the replies.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-21-2009, 11:13 AM

I haul a 35' Keystone Laredo with a F150, stock suspension, and no problem. It sure lower the rear, and is not overpowered, but It can haul it nice

What kind of FW btw ? :P

Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Chevy...
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaredoRV View Post
I haul a 35' Keystone Laredo with a F150, stock suspension, and no problem. It sure lower the rear, and is not overpowered, but It can haul it nice
What does your RV weigh.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PATTER View Post
What does your RV weigh.
My '08 Laredo Extreme Canadian Edition 30BH weighted 8638 dry. I have a clothes washer, full of food & clothes (that's our summer residence) and lot of stuff.

My '09 Laredo 298BH will weight 9720. A foot shorter but heavier because of the extra 2 extension...

Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Chevy...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-14-2009, 12:12 AM

Hi guys, sorry so late on this post but I just too upgraded my 5th wheel to a 34' from a 25'. Last year I installed a levelling kit on my F350 and noticed afterwards that my tow did sag the rear end, duh, wasn't thinking there!! My new 5ver shows up this week and I am concerened with the extra weight that it will lower my rear even more. I could remove the leveling kit or add airbags (Firestone 2400 which works with an in box hitch) or a Timbren system. I'm thinking that the Timbren system will still offer some sag until it connects with the axel and the air bags would be better at keeping it level because you would just increase the air to raise the rear. Am I wrong in the way I am thinking?? Thanks for any thoughts!

--Corey

PS - where is everyone buying their air bags? I was out pricing them today and the cheapest I could find was $635. So much cheaper in the USA like $280 - $350USD +shipping of course.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode