Question about suspension - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
Super Duty Forum ALL YEARS ALL MODELS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
dwh

Question about suspension

So I've searched through this forum but haven't been able to find an answer to my question so here goes. I am in need of replacing the front shocks on my '04 F350, C.C., short box, diesel because the ones on there now are shot. I just bought slightly bigger than stock tires (285/75/16) and so I am not interested right now in lifting it. However, I am considering a 2.5" leveling kit for the front to match it with the height at the back.

If I replace my shocks now and then decide to put in a leveling kit, will I need new shocks that are longer or will the ones I put in be sufficient?

If I do need longer shocks, could I put them in before buying the leveling kit?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-23-2009, 02:16 PM
zip

Some suppliers of leveling kits say new longer shocks, some say stock are fine. Longer shocks can be purchased with most kits. I have used a couple of Procomp kits witch I got 4 shocks when I bought the kit.

Chris

03 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 S/B Lariat,Procomp 2" leveling kit, zoodad mod, straight pipe
75 F150, 79 Bronco
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-02-2009, 10:01 PM

No you dont need longer shocks for 2.5" leveling kit for front.Trucks that came with snow plow package sat higher at front from factory and they all used same shocks.I had f550 springs on my truck at one time and did not need longer shocks.I also used the yellow bilstein shocks which are oem specs.You can add shocks now and install 2.5" lift later.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 12:27 AM

if your truck after lift is mostly on road/mild offroad a stock length shock will do but if you are going to go more extreme match the shock to the lift you install for better travel and articulation.

a moments silence for the shelbyx,i hope her new owner enjoys as much.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 11:18 AM

It all depends on the type of leveling kit. If you get a hanger type kit, then the distance between the shock mounts will increase thereby necessitating longer shocks. However, if you use a mini spring pack type kit, then, no, you do not need longer shocks as the distance remains the same. Go look at the front suspension and you will see what I mean.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
dwh

Thanks for the info...

I am looking for a kit that replaces the stock leaf springs rather than just adding to the stock ones. I think I am going to go through Tuff Country. Comes with new spring packs, track bar relocating bracket and recommends upgrading the stock 3/4" track bar to a 1". Just a matter of finding the best price right now.

Dave

2004 F350, Crewcab, 4X4, 6.0L Diesel, Shortbox, 285/75R16, K&N FIPK, 4" turboback MBRP cat delete S.S. exhaust

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode