Ford Tough - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts banner

power stroke millage.

4K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  blackacres 
#1 ·
i searched and didn't find anything.

i'm just curious what the average millage people get with power stroke equipped super duties. i dont even see anything listed on ford.ca either.

thanks!

#4 ·
The only truck I kept accurate records on was my 99.5 with the 7.3L. After 3 years and 303,000km towing about 35% of the time, the average was 15.7. I think my '03 7.3L & '04 6.0L were about the same. I'm pretty sure my current '07 6.0L is doing a bit better.

#6 ·
I get 19-20 on the highway @100-105 kph with '05 F-350 4x4 Dually that has 4:10 gears, the auto tranny and the 6.0 Powerstroke. And stock for now.

#7 ·
I have seen up to 23 with just highway driving. Somewhere around 15-16 with alot of town driving. Probably a little less since the muff/cat delete. Sounds great.

#11 ·
20.5mpg with the mods. When I tow it drops to 15

#13 ·
I get 12-13 pulling a 8000# trailer and about 19 empty.I'd like to increase my fuel economy with a tuner.Still trying to figure which one to go with though.

My truck is an 03/6.0/3.73 with a turbo back MagnaFlow system.All else stock.

#15 ·
#14 ·
I did another mpg test here is what I got .20.6 on the highway , 18 in town and down to 12 when towing 7000 lbs. the mods are the best for mpg.

#16 ·
With my scan gauge I usualy drive with the Ecomodder style when I just travel in no rush, at times I can keep the readings at 28MPG, The truck being heavy just kills it in the start and stop traffic. I do try to average above 20MPG combine. These trucks like too drink above 1800 RPM. A lot of people say 2000 but I find there is a 20% difference above 1800 RPM. While towing I have been able to Ecomod at about 14MPG most of the time but there again cannot be above 1800RPM. On the trip I kept it above an average of 13MPG and that included the hilly roads of PA. Until I started to rev at 2000 RPM and emptied the 2 tanks with 12.45 MPG avg. Not so bad for 65-70 with the trailer on flat roads. Last spring I travelled in Manitoba for 2200 KM and averaged 23MPG, at 60MPH. I had a cold grill cover and I think it was responsible in the great millage. When not pulling I would keep the grill closed with those results, the truck never showed any sign of heating. The Scangauge II is the answer if a person likes to watch the millage, I always use it and it has payed off the $160.00 purchased price. With the trailer I keep the digital water temperature, Load, MPG and Outside temperature readings. So I usualy try to keep the engine load around 40 - 60% and at 85% in the hills before shifting. With the programer it usualy covers most of the hills in overdrive. Without the programer the load is mostly 100% at every hill in overdrive.

#18 ·
20.6 with the mods,, was only 12-15. Now it's a big fat 0 , Lost the trans again.

#19 ·
As all of the above posts are not in metric, I'll do the same.
When on long highway trips, I switch my Edge to Ecomony mode (#1 setting) and get 23.2 miles per Imp. gallon.
I live in a rural area, so when I'm driving around home it's a combination of rural roads and city, I get 20.4 miles per Imp. gallon with the Edge set in Performance mode (#3 setting).
Considering the size of the truck I think these are very good fuel consumtion numbers. I would imagine the programmer, Banks exhaust and CAI are helping.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.