NEED HELP: Rear Brake Backing Plate/Dust Sheild - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
Super Duty Forum ALL YEARS ALL MODELS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
OPP
Forum Newbie

Rear Brake Backing Plate/Dust Sheild

Hello,

I have a 2005 Excursion. My parking/E-brake spring pins have pulled through the rusty metal on the backing plate and destroyed my brake shoes and springs. I want to replace the backing plates (Ford calls them Dust Shields). The truck is not rusty but the backing plates have rotted. Ford claims that they are the same as 99-2004 F-250 & F-350. They retail for $475 each. By the time I pay taxes, I'm over a grand! I read somewhere that Ford has an improved replacement but that wasn't mentioned at the dealer.

Has anyone had this problem, either with an Excursion or an F-250/350 and if so, have you found a more economical solution? I don't think used is the best as I suspect they will all be weak.

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 10:58 AM

Yup common problem. The 'dust shield' is pressed on the backing plate and as a result, cannot be replaced separately. You are stuck buying the entire backing plate.

Solutions range from repairing the dust shield, using washers for the pins, buying used (and POR15 them before installing), buying new from the States (half the cost) or new in Canada.

When you go to replace them, you will also need to buy hub seals as well.

Let me know if you need more info.

And welcome to FT.

2001 F350 CC SWB 6spd....currently getting a complete 'makeover'. Stay tuned.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode