NEED HELP: 2011 F250 diesel - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
Super Duty Forum ALL YEARS ALL MODELS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 01:39 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

2011 F250 diesel

I was wondering if i can get some insight with this vehicle. I have been researching and i think i will make the plunge for a FX4 F250.

Need to know about their diesels, I havn't seen anyone online having bad experiences but I have some mechanics that tell me to stay away from the ford diesels, and they cause nothing but trouble.

Wanna know if anyone has had any bad experience with the new diesel motor 6.7.

Also on a full tank of fuel how many km could i expect from full to empty, what size is the tank.

What experiences do people have when the decide the jack up the truck, i was thinking about a fabtech lift with bfg 37 inch tires.

cheers
bull_Auger

Last edited by Bull_Auger; 08-04-2010 at 02:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 02:59 PM

I think you are going to have trouble finding out what you want to know. The 6.7 is an all new ford made diesel. Not very many of them on the road yet

VMP and 5-Star tuned no more

Buy a hybrid my truck needs your gas
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 03:33 PM

A guy I work with has one with about 20,000km on it. He is getting 20-25mpg bobtail and this week he got 14 pulling a 8000lbs travel trailer to the Gaspe. It is very quiet and very smooth. He has had no issues with it yet.
I spoke with a trailer delievry service and he claims the 2 he knows about have both had an issue while pulling a trailer that left them stranded. One of the 2 trucks apparently is the demo unit for one of the guys at Polito Ford in Lindsay, Ontario.
I canot confirm any of this, it's all hear say at this point.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanx for the information

I just came from the dealership today, they were telling me that ford won't put the mpg on there information sheet.

I am debating towards the gas model, apparently comes with the the 6.2 motor, I think that is the avenue I might take, this is going to be a toy primarly not much towing hopefully lots mud will be slung with 37's and 8.5 lift.

What is anyone's thoughts towards gas engine
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 09:51 PM

Great option if you are not piling the miles on. Diesels quite frankly have become a pain in the ass since the EGR system was added in 03/04 and now has grown into a nightmare with the addition of the DPF system on the 08+ for anyone miling the truck up into solid 6 figures.
The diesel's fuel economy (which was missing on 08-10 trucks anyways but seems to have returned for 11) and smooth power band for towing seem to be the only advantages left for the guys running big miles with big trailers regularity. (I don't mean an hour to the lake every weekend with a 4000lbs boat either)

If you go gas, I would suggest go big or go home if you are towing especially. The Superduty is not a light truck. Expect single digit mileage regularily but just keep remembering you didn't pay an extra 10K for the truck, and well over $100 for an oil change every few thousand km.
Well, theres my thoughts....
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 02:55 PM

if your not going to be working the truck much a gas engine is the way to go,but at a dealership tech level haven't seen to many problems with the 6.7l yet and people are getting 13-14l/100km average(must be something to do with not being a intersmashable engine)

a moments silence for the shelbyx,i hope her new owner enjoys as much.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

I test drove the 2011 Lariat F250 6.2 gasser today Extended Cab, I was noticed a few things.

1. A speed wobble around 100km/hr or critical speed, but smoothed out about 120 km/hr

2. When punching it, it was a little hesitant compared to the diesel and lacked some torque, but when it started to accelerate and did reach the mark, (I think you put in the standard mode and shift to a lower gear to get what you want in torque performance).

3. It was a rough ride overall when hitting potholes and some bumps, compared to the the diesel crew cab.

A few things that i wanted in the truck was to have a sliding moonroof, and navigation with ford sync, and the factore remote start, The salesman told me it was only offered in the lariat and not the fx4 or xlt.

Can anyone shed any light to this.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 09:29 PM

Send a message via MSN to lumberjack
If I was you I would steer clear of the power sliding moonroof/sunroof. I had a 2010 f150 xlt with the xtr package on it plus I put the power moonroof/sunroof in and the noise level is awful. I had to add a 4" wind deflector to the cab of my truck to cut the noise in half.

Lumberjack
2010 F150 Supercrew 4X4
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull_Auger View Post
I test drove the 2011 Lariat F250 6.2 gasser today Extended Cab, I was noticed a few things.

1. A speed wobble around 100km/hr or critical speed, but smoothed out about 120 km/hr

Maybe a tire or something, not indicitive of all Super Dutys.

2. When punching it, it was a little hesitant compared to the diesel and lacked some torque, but when it started to accelerate and did reach the mark, (I think you put in the standard mode and shift to a lower gear to get what you want in torque performance).

Expected, less power than the diesel will equal lower performance.

3. It was a rough ride overall when hitting potholes and some bumps, compared to the the diesel crew cab.

Expected, longer wheel base = better ride. More weight of the diesel up front "softens the springs. It's possible that there was a package ordered on that truck the changes the spring code that could be deleted it you ordered. There are several packages (plow, camper etc) that effect spring rates delivered on the truck.

A few things that i wanted in the truck was to have a sliding moonroof, and navigation with ford sync, and the factore remote start, The salesman told me it was only offered in the lariat and not the fx4 or xlt.

Everything except the moonroof can be done aftermarket and the dealer can build it into the financing up front. You will also end up with "more" for less money in most cases. I'm not positive the aftermarket has a Remote start for this truck yet but I expect they do.

Can anyone shed any light to this.

I hope this helps.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 01:10 PM

Bull Auger

Just did the Build and Price at Ford.ca and got everything but the nav system on the F250 xlt or fx4. He seems to be right that the Nav is only on the Lariat. The Sync, remote start and moon roof are available on the xlt or fx4

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode