2008 f350SD w/ 5.4L... - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
Super Duty Forum ALL YEARS ALL MODELS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 03:43 AM Thread Starter

2008 f350SD w/ 5.4L...

As stated in the "SD pic thread" i got an '08 SD w/5.4L(not great credit, 26yr old army mechanic, only truck Kentwood could get me approved for), and am concerned that i may have short-changed myself power/ reliability-wise.

I researched and all i found was cummin's and PSD swaps for 2007 and later trucks. Has anyone come across resources for possible swap for the '08 and newer 5.4L trucks?

I dont want to toss a arse-load of money at the 5.4L and have it blow up, or put big tires and load the truck down with extra weight and have it blow up(wife DD's the truck for work[Canada post] so having it blow up would be really REALLY bad for me)

What are my options here? just leave it the way it is(stock is for suckers IMO) or win lottomax and get the swap done?

I got lots of "wanna-do's" for this rig(35's, winch bumper, etc) but can't till i figure out where i can go with this "city of Edmonton work-truck" lookalike haha

"and when he gets to the gates of heaven to Saint Peters he will tell, one more soldier reporting, Sir"

Rest in Peace.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 09:26 AM

Send a message via MSN to Sicksoh
i would thin if yo are looking into swapping in a 6.4 then it is going to get very costly do too all the electronics involved. I would think you would be farther ahead by putting a cummins in. check out destroked.com i know there is a few 08+ on there that are sporting a cummins. And the other thing is that 5.9 cummins are very easy to find where as a good 6.4 would be more difficult but if you good find rolled donor truck or something then you have everything you woukd need to do a 6.4 and would probably stay fairly cheap.

2006 PSD CC FX4 Sport SRW S/B
SCT with custom tunes by Quick tricks, Grand Rock turbo back dual 6" Miter cut stacks,
Xenon Fender flares,Tinted factory tails, Recon white lightning L.E.D. light bar, Glasstite topper
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

perfect thank you very much

"and when he gets to the gates of heaven to Saint Peters he will tell, one more soldier reporting, Sir"

Rest in Peace.

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 03:20 PM

The issue you will have with your truck being an '08 is that if emissions are an issue in your area, you will have to go with an '08 & up engine and use a DPF, EGR. all the "goodies" that made a mess out of the diesel market in the last few years. That applies to the Cummins as well. If emissions are not an issue and won't be in your area for a few years to come and if your not planning on moving, then put a 12v cummins in it. 2 wires and it's running.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 03:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post
If emissions are not an issue and won't be in your area for a few years to come and if your not planning on moving, then put a 12v cummins in it. 2 wires and it's running.
we don't have e-testing in Alberta thankfully, and do you have anymore info on the 12v, the "2 wires and its running" thing peaked my interest

Rest in Peace.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 04:58 PM

post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 05:03 PM

A bit of info specific to the 12V

http://www.fordcummins.com/engines-photo-gallery.html
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

perfect thank you very much, now i just need to save up the cash lol

Rest in Peace.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 07:07 PM

Do you really NEED a diesel? The 5.4 is fairly well proven. 35's and a winch bumper will be no problem IMO. If your not happy with the performance on 35's get a programmer. Still not happy regear it. I see no reason to get rid of motor from a truck so new

VMP and 5-Star tuned no more

Buy a hybrid my truck needs your gas
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-29-2011, 07:25 PM Thread Starter

time will tell, if i get tired of the v8 then i will figure something out. I owned an '03 F150 XTR on 35's with a warn trans4mer and it was abit of a dog(400k/tank, less in 4x4)

Rest in Peace.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode