Battery Light Flashing - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 10:12 PM Thread Starter

Battery Light Flashing

My battery warning light started flashing yesterday for the first in the seven years I've owned my truck. It's a 2000 Excursion 7.3l, and I've been trying to figure out why. Found one bad battery and replaced it . the other battery was replaced about six months ago. Light still flashes. Seemsto only flash when I'm driving; goes out at higher rpm comes on when rpm drop to 1200- 1500. New alternator from Napa about 5months ago. Tested the voltage, when truck is off both batteries show 12.82V. When engine is running but no accessories on, voltage fluctuates. I tested the voltage several times, first I got a reading 12.38v then 13.82v and 14.75 v. Turned on the blower, lights and radio and retested. One time 12.53 another test showed 15.2v. Light never seems to flash when the truck idles only when I'm driving. Could the voltage regulator be the problem? I read something about checking fuses and disable links, but I don't know which ones to look at. Same with the grounding cables, don' t know where to check for that. I'd really appreciate any suggestions, and pictures if anyone has had a similar problem. Thanks, and sorry for the long post, but Iwanted to be as detailed as i could .
George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-03-2015, 10:24 PM

Garage
Sure sounds like regulator isn't working right. Alternator should have at least one year of warranty...you might be needing it.

The Hauler - '05 F-350 4x4 CC Dually 6.0 Powerstroke
The Project - '90 Ford Bronco 4x4
The wife's - '11 Ford Escape
For every minute you are away from work...you can add two minutes to your life!
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 01:27 AM

faulty regulator in the alt. probably a napa premium rebuild?

put a napa premium rebuilt starter on wifes Explorer in Dec. it already causing problems. sure has her pissed off, as I told her to go ahead and buy the CAA plus membership, and she wanted to save money....................

warranty doesn't pay the labour, or your own labour for DIYers.

I'm not impressed with Napa parts since my local autoparts place became a napa dealer.

[SIGPIC]
summer: RIP 72 Bronc, 68 Merc,
Daily:94 Exp xlt , Barney the PSD CW
projects: all on hold for now

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-05-2015, 06:36 AM

Alternator , I went through 6 rebuilds in 2 yrs , b4 I sold the mustang I put a Ford one in and buddy is still running on the ford alt I installed .

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode