Alignment/ wobble - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Alignment/ wobble

Hi all, I started noticing a problem with my steering on my 2000 Excursion, a couple of days ago. when I make left or right turn, the wheels seem to want to continue in the direction of the turn even as I am straightening up the steering wheel. I have to over compensate on the steering wheel to straighten the wheels it seems. It does it when I make a left or right turn, but seems to be worse when turning left. Also I noticed that if I'm driving on pavement that has ruts from heavy traffic, the front end seems to pull to one side then the other.
I've had the truck for 7 years and this is the first time this has happened to it. Is it an alignment problem or is there something else that I need to consider? I jacked it up today to check the tie rods and drag link, everything seemed ok

Thanks,
George
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 10:37 PM

Garage
You wanna check the ball joints and front axle ujoints. These are not serviceable from the factory, so they will inevitably seize. A test I perform when looking at trucks with steering issues are as follows.

Get the front end onto a set of axle stands. Have the wheels turned to one side. Then lock one hub manually. Now spin that tire, and if there is any kind of binding, that axle ujoint needs to be changed. Now unlock that hub and do the same procedure to the other side. The only true way to check for seized ball joints, is by disconnecting the tierod from the knuckles and swinging them back and forth to see how tight they are.

I've rebuilt many front axles and have learned that whatever you do to one side, you do to the other...don't just do one side. Also if you have to replace ball joints, the axles are out anyway. You'll actually save money by replacing the ujoints as well. When doing this job, there is a seal that has to be replaced each time it's taken apart, and at $100 each, you should only do it once. Make sure when replacing those parts, you get stuff that is greaseable so you can maintain them.

The Hauler - '05 F-350 4x4 CC Dually 6.0 Powerstroke
The Project - '90 Ford Bronco 4x4
The wife's - '11 Ford Escape
For every minute you are away from work...you can add two minutes to your life!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-02-2015, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

U joints were done less than a year ago, when I did the wheel bearings. When i had the truck up on stands today, nothing seemed loose. I'll try locking the hub and spinning the wheels like you suggested and see if that's it. I was also wondering about the steering box adjustment. I've read a few posts about adjusting it in these cases, will that help?

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode