2005 Explorer Noise Question.... - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

2005 Explorer Noise Question....

G'day lads, how's it going? Had a quick question for anyone in the know. I just got a new (new to me anyways...) 2005 Explorer a week ago, and on about Thursday, I noticed alittle noise from the engine when at idle. It sounds like a knocking, but seems to be coming more so from the transmission/bellhousing, making me think its a lose flexplate or something similar. Anyways, I ran by the dealership I got it from today, and was told that the sound was normal, and that in fact, all new Fords make this sound once they warm up.....Now, I know my old 2002 Crown Vic didn't make the noise, nor does my dads 2002 F-150......SO, my question is, does this sound right? Do "all new Fords" make a knocking sound? Any info would be great! I'm going to get a second opinion tommorrow from a local garage that I know won't BS me, so we'll see how that goes......Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-13-2009, 10:35 PM

must be a farm in the area,i smell bullcrap,what size engine does it have?

a moments silence for the shelbyx,i hope her new owner enjoys as much.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-14-2009, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Oh yeah, forgot to say, it's a 4.6, which seemed to help him "determine" that the sound was normal. I'm starting to think they are trying to give me a run around until my 30 days are up (there's a 30 day 50/50 the dealership gave me, but I didn't take any extended warrenty because I usually do all my own work....just my luck, eh?....) Thanks again for any info.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 02:45 PM

the 4.6l exploders were known for the upstream cats getting loose catalist inside causing a "knock"sound when warm.

a moments silence for the shelbyx,i hope her new owner enjoys as much.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-15-2009, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Right on, that could be it then. Originaly, I thought it was just exhaust noise, but then started to focus on it and now its bothering me. If that is the problem, is there really any reason to worry or fix it? Or could I just learn to live with it? I'll have to crawl back under there and take a better listen and report back. Thanks for all the help too, I've looked for an answer online, but couldn't find anything that seemed similar. Nice to have someone that in the know around!
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-2009, 05:11 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Alright, so I crawled back under there and pocked around with a 'scope, and sure enough the cat was the oly one knocking on the door. I've got an appointment next week to have it checked, and hopefully replaced under warrenty (since emissions stuff is covered still I believe...) Anyways, thanks again for the info shelbyx1!

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode