No heat - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

No heat

The motor (4.0 v6) in my 95 Explorer won't warm up and with the temps outside dropping it's time to get it fixed. Temp gauge stays near the bottom when driving and goes up to the middle when stopped.

So far I have replaced the thermostat and installed the fan shroud (it was not on when I bought it) The thermostat helped but the temps still drop when driving. The airdam was also not on when I bought it, could this be giving the rad too much air while driving and causing the temps to drop that much? Or should I replace the heater core?

Oh yeah it's got a brand new water pump installed by the previous owner.

1997 F-150 xl
1984 Honda XR200R (the toy)
2007 Honda CRF100f (the spare toy)
2005 Jayco Baja 10Y (the home away from home)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 12:17 AM

Is the thermostat installed pointing the right direction according to coolant flow?
Is it the correct temperature range thermostat?

Could the thermostatically actuated cooling fan clutch be seized? With the engine off, you should be able to rotate it, with a bit of resistance. If you can't turn it by hand, or if there's lots of resistance, that could be a problem.

I don't think it has anything to do with your heater core, since your engine temp seems to drop when you're moving. It shouldn't do that, unless it's -45 deg outside. I'm betting your fan clutch isn't working right.

If Princess Auto were a real girl, I'd ask her to marry me.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

The fan does move easily when the engine is off, with the engine running it turns constantly. I put in a 198 thermostat and I put it in the same direction as the one that came out, spring in nipple out.

I didn't think it was the core either because it does give me heat when sitting still but I am at a loss for ideas. My Dad did mentions a cold air trap in the firewall, but I thought only older vehicles had this.

Is it possible I have air trapped in the cooling system from when I change the thermostat still? What would be the best way to get it all out?

1997 F-150 xl

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 03:23 PM

I suppose it's always possible there's some air trapped. Take off the radiator cap and squeeze the hoses with your hand to "burp" it. Eventurally, you'd think the air would make it's way out to the overflow bottle, and be replenished, assuming you keep the bottle topped-off.

But if it were air, I'd think this would cause over-heating, not over-cooling.

It definitely sounds like the coolant temperature isn't being properly regulated. I don't think it has anything specifically to do with your heater, etc. -- that's just the symptom.

If you think about it, there are only 2 things that regulate coolant temperature: the thermostat -- which you've already replaced, and the thermostatic fan clutch.

The fact that the fan is constantly spinning is deceptive. On the viscous coupled fan clutches, they'll always freewheel when the engine is running. It doesn't necessarily mean the clutch is engaged or not.

The way I used to check this on my old Nissan, was to carefully grab the fan blade with a wadded up rag, wearing heavy work gloves, while the motor was running, but still cold. Then I'd observe if the clutch started to grab, as the engine warmed up.

***DO NOT DO THIS!!! IT IS VERY DANGEROUS -- LIKE STICKING YOUR HAND INTO A BLENDER!***

I only mention it to demonstrate how it works, and I won't do it anymore, now that I've got the drinking back under control.

The manual gives a method of using a laser tachometer to check the fan rotation speed, which is far safer, and will actually tell you if it's within spec.

I'm assuming you don't happen to have a laser tachometer rattling around in your kitchen drawer, so for the money, I'd just swap out the fan clutch. The good news is a fan clutch can be had on Ebay for somewhere less than $75 w/shipping. Canadian Tire wants $124, if you need it pronto.

Perhaps a scrapyard one would be fine, too? It's probably pretty easy to pull, and I suspect the same clutch is used on a lot of different Ford vehicles.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

I did have to top up the coolant this morning, I'm gonna check it out again when it cools off. (just got back from work)

Before I took the fan off to put the shroud back on I noticed the fan had a little wobble back and forth to it without the pully moving, could this mean the clutch is faulty? I'll call around for prices on the fan clutch. Thanks a bunch for your help.

1997 F-150 xl
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 06:57 PM

man the ex took the heat with her when she left too, thats awful

Really? Its the Internet take it easy.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

lol yeah she took alot more than that Blair.

1997 F-150 xl
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 09:43 PM

Send a message via MSN to Northern Supercrew
Just because it's a new thermo, don't mean it can't be defective..My 05 did this as well..driving it would run cool, and stopped it would come up a little, altho, not up to the middle. I replaced the thermo and it was good.

2013 f150 Ecobeast
3.55 E locker
FX4 Screw
SSI tuned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Supercrew View Post
Just because it's a new thermo, don't mean it can't be defective..My 05 did this as well..driving it would run cool, and stopped it would come up a little, altho, not up to the middle. I replaced the thermo and it was good.
Good point. I've seen it happen, too.

If he's still got the old one, it might be a good idea to test it in a pot of water on the stove, with a thermometer. At least that way he'll know if the original one was actually NFG.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 09:02 AM Thread Starter

Thats a good point, I'll try that before spending more money on more parts.

1997 F-150 xl

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode