Any Recoms for AT tires for winter. - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Any Recoms for AT tires for winter.

Im looking for a not a high priced set of AT tires for the winter. I know about you pay for what you get, but was looking at:
1. Hercules Terra Trac A/T I know made in China
2. Bridgestone Duelers a lil high prices but heard good things
3. Wrangler AT/S, brand name but heard some good and some bad.
Any suggestions?

The Ultimate Off Road vehicle is 64 Tons, Tan/Green, has a 120MM Cannon , a crew of 4 and can make popcorn.
It's a LEOPARD TANK
My new one 2003 Larit FX4, 5.4.

Last edited by cdnarmyguy; 10-26-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 12:06 PM

Send a message via MSN to BMac
out of those the Wrangler AT/S but a better tire might be a Wrangler Silent Armor or Duratrac

2011 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 5.0 Golden Bronze Metallic
2002 Ford F350 Super Duty(Sold)
1977 Ford Early Bronco
2009 Victory Jackpot
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 01:39 PM

Which dueller? My bro-in-law has the wranglers on his F150, They are SO noisy it's almost unbearable to be in his truck. Most mud tires I've heard are quieter. All terrains are no replacement for true snow tires either

VMP and 5-Star tuned no more

Buy a hybrid my truck needs your gas

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 02:59 PM

BFG A/T the best A/t tire for winter, other than a winter tire with studs.

You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is 'never try'. -Homer Simpson
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 04:42 PM
Apprentice

I've got Firestone Destination AT tires on my truck and have to problems come winter time.my wife commented that my truck loves the snow with them on the few times she's driven it.
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGPHIL View Post
BFG A/T the best A/t tire for winter, other than a winter tire with studs.
I disagree about the BFG AT T/A KO....although they have a mountain snowflake symbol...they are only decent in snow, but very poor on ice. I have a set of BFG AT on my Mazda 4x2 for a couple of winters (got stuck 10 times one winter)...got fed up and then replaced them with a set of cheap studded winters (Arctic Claw TXI)....which were way better in winter conditions.

Here are reviews from Nov 2008 by Consumer Reports on truck/SUV tires (all terrain, all season, winter, etc)....winter tire list is outdated (DM-Z3 and X-Ice are both discontinued). http://access.gale.com/widgets/cr/pdfs/suvtires.pdf

I have had a set of Goodyear Wrangler AT/S on my Mazda. I think that there are better tires elsewhere.

More winter tire reviews and recommendations here:

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/winte...a-etc-1089871/

If I was looking for one tire fits all (not true in winter)....I would probably consider the Firestone Destination A/T or the Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs....or more likely a second set of wheels with winter tires....save $$$ with used or an inexpensive winter tire like General Altimax Arctic. Blizzak DM-V1 is another well rated tire...jury is still out on it's treadwear since it's very new (tread is suppose to be very soft...softer than other winter tires...softness doesn't give me good vibes). Past Blizzaks didn't last too long.

Dave

2010 Ford Ranger FX4
Armaguard sprayed on bed liner
Truxedo Low Pro QT tonneau cover
Studded General Altimax Arctic P245/75-16 winter tires on black steelies
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

I have ASs right now on the truck great for the summer, my wife's truck has Wrangler Radials and are great in the snow, but do not come in a LT. For the amount of time Ill be up northern Ontario, all I require is a good set of ATs. Had ASs on my old Aero when I was in NB and the Ottawa valley and they were good in the snow if less than a couple of inches or dry snow.
The amount of snow in Southern Ontario is a waste of money. Even a most tire shops agree. I like GYs but have heard not too many good things about their ATs. Hercs are cheap but maybe a lil hard for winter. The Duelers are REVOs, neighbour has a set and likes them. As for ice only a studded tire is the way to go, and cannot have them in SO.
Thanks fellas

The Ultimate Off Road vehicle is 64 Tons, Tan/Green, has a 120MM Cannon , a crew of 4 and can make popcorn.
It's a LEOPARD TANK
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 08:40 PM

Send a message via MSN to lumberjack
On my other F150 I had the BFG on it and well they where good in snow/mud but crappy on hard packed snow turning into ice, My current truck I put some research into it and well I went with the Duratrac's, so far I love them not overly noisie on the road driving 110-120 km. Will find out this winter what they will be like in the snow but my truck is 4x4 anyways.

Lumberjack
2010 F150 Supercrew 4X4
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Grant
Thanks man, I have researched this also. Thats why its a lil hard to pick a tire. Hows the truck running? Also most traded in on the a 2008 FX4. But to go back to the tires. I have been on every tire review site. And of course they all have a different view. I may just go with the Wranglers ATs. I found some LTs for the truck. But they only have 50 % left. Or the BFGs.

It's a LEOPARD TANK
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 10-26-2011, 09:37 PM

I'll add my two cents, for what it's worth.

I started with Firestone A/Ts on my first ranger (the infamous "exploder" tire - destination?)
Ran the first set for 120,000 kms, 2WD truck with no weight and never had an issue. Had to replace them because a belt tried to come through the sidewall. Put the same tire back on and ran them another 110,000 kms with no issue. Third set of rubber was my first BFG A/T. If memory serves, they still had some tread when I traded it at 330K.
My next 2WD ranger wore a set of BFG A/Ts until the day I traded it. Again, I got great snow traction with them; the key is you have to run on the snow, not the bare tracks. The snow held in the tread bonds to the snow on the ground to give you traction. Only once did I lose control in some slush and wound up in the opposite ditch faster than you can say "Jack Roberts"
My current 4WD ranger is wearing its second set of BFG A/Ts (do you see the theme here?)
Basically I will say that as noted above no one tire can do everything, but for my money the A/T is the correct year-round tire. You just have to be careful on ice, but that can be said for anything other than a true winter/ice tire. They are more expensive than other tires, but I get a minimum of 110K out of them so to me it's a good return. Hope this helps.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode