Wheel Balancing - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2011, 07:22 AM Thread Starter

Wheel Balancing

I've been doing some research online into powder balancing in lieu of conventional hammer-on weights.

Problem is, I can find a ton of companies that make the stuff, but can't find any shops that actually do it.

Does anyone here have any experience with powder balancing, or better yet know of a shop in SWO where I might be able to get this done?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 05:10 PM

I've seen it used for motorcycle wheels, I think they were called "Dynabeads", or something like that. I never really caught on to what the supposed advantage was? I can think of a number of potential headaches it might cause, having powder/sand stuff sloshing around inside the tire.

e.g., What if the plies in one of your tires begins to delaminate? You'd never know it until the tire completely flew apart, since the "dynamic" balancing would just mask the problem until it's too late.

Don't think you need a shop to "do" anything. I'm pretty sure you just pour the stuff into your tire valve stem, through a piece of tubing, after unscrewing the valve core (another potential trouble spot, right there). No idea how you're supposed to know how much to pour in, though?

What got you interested in that stuff?

If Princess Auto were a real girl, I'd ask her to marry me.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 05:51 PM

just get them to use the stick on weight on the backside of the rim.
They use them on nice rims where if you hammered a weight on there it would damade the finish/chrome.

Really? Its the Internet take it easy.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2011, 11:18 PM

Oooooooh, so it's for looks?

Okay, now I get it. (slaps forehead).

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4000 View Post

What got you interested in that stuff?
I started looking for alternate options since it seems that no matter who I have balance my wheels I can't ever get a decent balance. I'm sure part of the problem is the fact I run A/T T/As, but I would think a high-end tire & wheel shop should be able to balance them out; for me, not so much.

Based on my research so far, it seems that the powder balancing is a "continuous" type balancing system; ie. as the tire wears the weight will continually adjust itself to keep the wheel in balance. A vast majority of the users swear by it, a few swear at it - I thought it would be worth investigating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlairTruck View Post
just get them to use the stick on weight on the backside of the rim.
Blair, the shop I bought my new setup from used the stick on weights as there is no rim on the front side of the rim for the conventional weights. As noted above, I get a good balance for a while (usually one or two service intervals, 5 to 10K) and then they start to shake again. I've yet to find a shop that can consistently balance out my wheels (they all blame the type of tire) so this seemed like a viable option.

I'm not going to change the rubber I run, so I'm open to any suggestions from other members on what they've done with all terrain tires in terms of balance, pressure, etc. After my first rotation at 10K my inside edges are starting to "chunk" out - I'm hoping my next rotation will even things out again.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 09:23 PM

Send a message via MSN to lumberjack
Well it's not the tire your running, the problem is the shop you go to. I had those tires your running on my F150 and when I sold the truck after 45000km the tires still didn't have a vibration to them I even forgot to have them rotated, as far as I know the new owner still has those tires on the truck.

Lumberjack
2010 F150 Supercrew 4X4
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-28-2011, 10:01 PM

Here's a thought -- have you had a 4-wheel alignment done?

Maybe the uneven wear is being caused by bad wheel alignment, causing the tires to wear unevenly, making them eventually lose balance?

I have similar tires (Cooper) on 15" rims, and haven't had a single problem. I keep them inflated at the recommended pressure for our trucks -- 30 PSI, and the handling and wear are fine.

But, I did have a 4-wheel alignment done before I got the new tires (and I had also recently cranked up the front suspension). My back axle was fairly out of whack. They had to use chains and a come-along to pull it into spec. I'm not sure if it came from the factory that way, or whether it was a harsh drop I took off a snow berm in the dark. In any case, I've never had a tire wear or balance problem since that time.

So if you haven't done it already, you might want to check the alignment. I can't see your tires being the problem. That's a reputable brand, and they've sold thousands. If there were some chronic issue with that tire, we'd have heard people complaining about it by now.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 07:18 AM

Have you asked them to try indexing the tire on the rim as well before rebalanceing?
Are they using a "load force" balanceing machine?

I'm with b4000, I'd be checking on that alignment as well to help protect yout tire investment as well.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-29-2011, 07:42 PM

Send a message via MSN to lumberjack
I'm with B4000 I'd have your 4 wheel alignment done, just seems something is out of whack on your truck,

Lumberjack
2010 F150 Supercrew 4X4

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode