I NEED TIRES!!! - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
TOC

I NEED TIRES!!!

Hey, I need some good mud tires for my 2012 Raptor. Im looking for 35" Any suggestions on what kind of tire I should get? I need it to be good with gravel/road and mud every so often...

UR DAD'S ENTERPRISE INC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-18-2012, 11:33 PM

Kyle, give Abe at Tire Pro a call here in GP and ask about Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx. Supposed to be really good with gravel. Won't chunk out like a lot of the other ones. Have 3 ply sidewall also. Just what you need for the plant and field roads up there. Only other one I can think of for your conditions would be the old Hankook that Apache up at Zama use. I think it is a T34. Skate on ice but tough in gravel and snow.

Such is life. Just passing through.

04 F150 FX4 Screw 5.4 with couple of mods
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
TOC

I'm a little iffy on Cooper discovs. I had a set of winter studded 18"s for my Titan, I think they cost about 2k and they sucked ba||$. There wasn't much of a difference from those and my roasted off stalk tires. I never took them in the mud but the little bit of spring gravel chewed them up pretty bad. I also drive like an asshole so that probably doesn't help much either.

I was told to get Toyo or Hankook. I'm just not sure which ones or anything. I was also told to get a D grade which again I have no ideas wtf that means???

Any help is good help!

UR DAD'S ENTERPRISE INC.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 10:01 PM

Send a message via MSN to lumberjack
The higher the grade of tire means the more ply tire it is thats if I'm right. Have you looked at the Goodyear Duratrac ?? Are you staying with your stock tire size on the Raptor ? Check my thread as I have the Duratrac's in the 315/70/17 on my truck

Lumberjack
2010 F150 Supercrew 4X4
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
TOC

Yea I'm going to stick with my stock size. 35" on a 17" rim. I'll get new rims and and just keep my stock ones for winter as they seem to be good enough for what I do.

UR DAD'S ENTERPRISE INC.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-19-2012, 10:51 PM

Kyle, I looked at the sizes on the Cooper Discoverer ST maxx's and they don't come in your size. That's what I am running on my company truck. Don't know which Discoverer's you had but there are different models. Didn't see the Hankook mud tire listed. Can't remember what load range D is. Either 6 ply or 8 ply. I run 10 ply, load range E just because of the gravel. Maybe check out the Wrangler Duratracs like lumberjack has on his truck.

Such is life. Just passing through.

04 F150 FX4 Screw 5.4 with couple of mods
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrmagoo View Post
Kyle, give Abe at Tire Pro a call here in GP and ask about Cooper Discoverer ST Maxx. Supposed to be really good with gravel. Won't chunk out like a lot of the other ones. Have 3 ply sidewall also. Just what you need for the plant and field roads up there. Only other one I can think of for your conditions would be the old Hankook that Apache up at Zama use. I think it is a T34. Skate on ice but tough in gravel and snow.
+1 on the Cooper Discoverers. Don't know about the "Maxx" ones, but I've had the regular STs on a work truck and I've got set for my Mazda as off-road tires. Never had a problem with chipping, etc.

When I got mine, I know they had a version of Discoverers with a slightly different compound (same tread pattern), that was especially meant to be more chip resistant when the main use is on gravel roads. But as I said, the regular STs I had seemed fine.

If Princess Auto were a real girl, I'd ask her to marry me.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 10:19 AM

Check out the reviews on the Toyo Open Country M/T if you want a mud tire that is good on the street. Rarely will you see anyone say anything bad about them. People swear by them.

Some reviews here

2001 F350 CC SWB 6spd....currently getting a complete 'makeover'. Stay tuned.

Last edited by LOOSEWHEEL; 03-20-2012 at 10:24 AM. Reason: Added review link
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
TOC

Thx loose wheel, I just spent 10 min tring to find the name of that tire and was gonna question about it, then I read ur post just before pressing send....

I think those are pretty sweet. I might look more into those!

UR DAD'S ENTERPRISE INC.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-20-2012, 11:07 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toc View Post
Yea I'm going to stick with my stock size. 35" on a 17" rim. I'll get new rims and and just keep my stock ones for winter as they seem to be good enough for what I do.
OEM BFG All Terrain's not cutting it as a mud tire obviously.

Haven't tried them, don't know about sizing, but BFG does make a Mud Terrain T/A .

What sort of wheel were you thinking of getting ? Going to stick with 17's or throw some dubble-dubs on for the summer ?

801A - 6550 lb bundle of joy

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode