Tire Lesson Please!! - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

Tire Lesson Please!!

Ok as you all know, I am new to this forum, and new to the truck scene. My dad had tons of trucks around the farm, but being more into technology I really didnt pay attention to anything. So saying that I want all you Ranger/truck experts to give me a hand.

I see many posts on here about tires/rims and related issues (lifts, torsion cranks, etc) So I would like someone to walk me thru Tires/Rims 101.

I know my tires are crappy all seasons 235/70/R16, but not exactly sure what they mean, other than the 16" rim part. But what are all these other things I keep reading about? Like "31x10.50R15 or 265/75R16 on stock rims" (which I think I saw on here are the biggest that can go on a stock 08 ranger) or backspacing or "32x11.50s or 33x10.50" What the heck does all that mean? What the heck do all the different numbers stand for? (please keep the laughter to a dull roar)

The reason I am asking is I want to get some good winter tires put on the 16" stock rims that came with my 2008 Ranger for the winter, and of course bigger is better. So how big can I go with my off the lot Ranger Sport '08 for winter tires? And what would be the best brand to get, keeping in mind I am in the Calgary area, and since we already have snow I would rather not have to order from the web, and since I bought a 4x2 I have no plans for offroading. I then plan to by some brand new rims, either now or closer to spring. Some nice chrome ones, and then I would like advice for size, type, of tires and rims for all seasons but winter, that will look good, perform good on my truck. Keeping in mind I have no immediate plans for any kinda lift (except maybe the torsion crank thing as I think I read somewhere on here that there is more clearance on the back tires than the front) So I will end up with good winter tires on my existing off the lot rims, and some sweet looking rims and tires all the other times.

So let the lesson/laughs at my expense begin!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 02:35 AM

Garage
Well to keep it simple 265/75/r16. The first number is the width of the tire in mm, 265mm, the second number is the sidewall hight as represented as a percent of the width(265*75% = 198.75mm) and the last is the rim size. The other way tire sizes can be writen is 31x10.5r15 the first number is the overall size 31" tall the second number is the width of the tire 10.5" wide and of course the last number is the rim size

265/75r16 = 31.64x10.43r16
check out this webpage and mess around with the calculator to get a better understanding of tire sizes
http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp

Backspacing is the distance from the hub mounting surface to the inside lip of the wheel.

2005 Ranger 4.0l Auto, 4x4, 4-door, 4.10, Explorer leather seats & Full length console, OHC, Misc other stuff
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 04:37 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for that.

Also, how do different tires sizes affect the speedometer readings? And can it cause problems with braking and the Odometer readings?

2008 Ford Ranger Sport 4x2. Vista Blue Clearcoat
Power Everything, 16' rims, limo tint, chrome front grille
Spray in bed liner, paint protected, chrome side mirrors
Rust proofed and undercoated, chrome running boards,
Bakflip II folding tonneau cover, 49" LED tail/backup light, smoke bug deflector.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-18-2008, 07:05 AM

Send a message via MSN to Lone Ranger
Yes, larger tires show a slower speedometer readout and therefore less miles/km's are logged on the odometer (which isn't always a bad thing). Typically, if you go from your 235/75/16 tires (which guessing should roughly be a 30x9.5 size in SAE) to 31x10.5 tires your odometer will read maybe 3 km/h slow, which is nothing to worry about. To go to 265/75/16 (roughly 32x10.5) you're probably about 6 km/h out at this point, and going to a 33" tire your speedo would read roughly 10 km/h slow. Thats not necessarily 100% accurate but I think you get the gist of what I'm saying. As for brakes, anything 31" and less won't affect you at all. Most Rangers come stock with 31" tires and the brakes are basically the same as yours.

I know most everything now is starting to revolve around 16" wheels so this would most likely be your best bet, also being that your can keep your stock wheels as well. You want to keep your tires fairly stock as you're most likely not 4x4ing your 2wd truck (unless you're like me). Being a sport you should have 3.73 gears, so you don't want to exceed a 31" tire if you wish to keep your stock power. 265/70/16 (roughly 31x10.5R16) would be a good idea and I don't think you'll have a hard time finding tires in this size either. If you stepped down to a shorter but wider tire you would pick up a little power since you're turning a smaller tire, but the wider tire would help stability and cornering. I used to run a set of 255/60/15s (27x10) on my 2wd and i enjoyed those.

Now, backspacing is fairly simple. Most stock wheels you'll find for your Ranger will be somewhere around 4.5", an aggressive wheel being 3.5 - 3.75", and a wheel that sits farther in (and could potentially rub more, but easier on your bearings and suspension) would be 5 - 6" (more so on 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks and FWD cars). BS will factor whether a wheel will rub on your brakes (which is why your truck has 16"), but this can be countered by using a cheaper 15" steel wheel (since steel is thinner material) with a 4.5 - 3.75" BS but that also means that 15" tires are typically cheaper and perhaps easier to find. 31x10.5R15 tires are among the absolute most common tire size you will ever see on a small and mid-size truck. LR

Matt T.

'09 Ford Ranger FX4 with a mean owner
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 01:17 AM Thread Starter

Ok so where should I go in the Calgary area to get my tires? And from what I understand, the biggest that I can go on my stock ranger is 265/75/16 that wont rub against anything on the truck. What would be the best winter tire brand to get? I have been looking at the regular places online (Fountain Tire, Crappy Tire etc) and the only option they give for a 2008 Ranger is the 235/70/16. As I am looking out the window right now, 11pm tuesday night, it is currently snowing. So the tips will be welcomed.

PS- Still not too sure about the backspacing thingy.

"
Now, backspacing is fairly simple. Most stock wheels you'll find for your Ranger will be somewhere around 4.5"

4.5" from what?

Bakflip II folding tonneau cover, 49" LED tail/backup light, smoke bug deflector.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 01:45 AM

4.5" from the surface that your wheel is bolted to, to the inside edge of the rim.

4.5" backspace is stock, some rims come with a 3.75" backspace, that would have the rim sticking out .75 " more from the brakes then the 4.5"backspace. because the distance from the inside edge of the rim is closer to where it is bolted to. if you visualize it, it makes sense, or see a picture comparing different backspaces.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Ok so I went into my local Fountian tire store to ask about winter tires. When I asked about the cost of 265/75/16 he checked his book and told me that the biggest ones I could put on my stock 2008 were 255/70/16. Now I am pretty sure that someone on here mentioned on here that I could go with the 265's. How can I find out for sure? He also recommended Discoverer MS tires as decent winter tires as I wont be doing any offroading, just highway winter driving.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 07:53 PM

If your not driving off-road then going with a bigger tire is a waste of money. It will decrease your MPG, your brake life, and the tires themselves are going to cost moreplus the speedo will be out. I would maybe go a bit larger but personally if it was mine I would replace the 16" all seasons with the same size Winter tires and when I was going to pick up a new set of rims get the tires in whatever size I want and maybe even go with a 17" setup.

PS find your own Avatar.....
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2008, 07:54 PM

You may be thinking of hearing that (265/75/16) size in reference to a 4x4. I think your 4x2 will take a slightly smaller wheel so 255/70/16 is likely as the max size for your truck. 4x4's come with 255/70/16's stock.

And just fyi:

235/70/16=29"
255/70/16=30.1"
265/75/16=31.6"

So you can see what a big jump in size a 235/70 to a 265/75 is.

http://www.onlineconversion.com/tire...conversion.htm

Just some dude from BC...
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-20-2008, 12:44 AM

I went from 235s to 255/70/16s with a good M+S rated tire but in future I'll be getting a good set of summer tires and when these M+S wear out I'll go with true winter tires but I'll go down a few sizes, prolly 225s. If your speedo is digital and accuracy is important to you, you can get it recalibrated at the dealer, if its the old analog then you can either live with it or change the speedo gear (VSS) to recalibrate it. Its easy but a pain in the ass to keep swapping it out if you plan on running two sets of tires.

Whaddya mean I dont pay my bills?? Whydya think I'm broke!!

03 Lariat Crew 4x4 Line-x bedliner, Truxedo Lo-Pro QT Tonneau.
RIP [97 XL 4.2L V6]

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode