Tire Pressure - BFG A/T T/As - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Tire Pressure - BFG A/T T/As

For those of you running BFG A/Ts, what tire pressure are you running at?

The reason I ask is I asked the dealer to look at mine this morning, I've got 40K on the truck and the inside shoulders are cutting off unevenly making the tires really noisy (a warble if you will) I've had the truck realigned twice, and the wheels rebalanced once.

The dealer suggested since the tires are LT rated, we should try running the pressures up around 50 PSI instead of the standard 35 and see what happens over the next 10K.

I'm just wondering what everyone else's experiences have been?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-21-2009, 06:18 PM

Just the inside shoulders? That is an alignment issue. Do you have your torsion bars cranked? If so did you have a cam kit installed? With the LT tires I would say that you should be running 40-50psi, not the 30 ford recommends for the stock passenger car tires.

VMP and 5-Star tuned no more

Buy a hybrid my truck needs your gas
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 05:47 AM

I would run what ever the tire says I don't think because they are a LT tire they should have 50 pounds on less they are large ply rated tire for more load just my thought

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 11:31 AM

-What size are the tires?

(Edit: Never mind, I just checked your profile)
Your tires are pretty close to the stock size, and almost the same as my Cooper offroad tires. I run 30 PSI (same as stock pressure), after I was told that's what FX4 L2's with the same size 31x10.5xR15 are specified at. My tires are very similar in style to your BFGs, and I haven't had a problem. I just took them off on Friday after ~10K and no signs of uneven wear or damage. 50 psi for such a light truck really sounds like you're pushing it.

-Is it doing the same thing on all 4 tires, or just the front? If just the front, then I agree with what 07ranersport says -- sounds more like alignment.

If Princess Auto were a real girl, I'd ask her to marry me.

Last edited by b4000; 11-22-2009 at 11:51 AM.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Okay, some more info:

- I rotate my tires every 10K
- I've had the truck aligned at roughly 20K and again at 30K
- my torsion bars and suspension are stock

Interestingly enough, this is my third ranger (first 4WD) and I've had A/Ts on all 3. I always have a problem with the inside shoulders wearing unevenly - one is high, the next low, high/low, etc. What I'm trying to do is nip it in the bud with this truck because I'm tired of it happening. Let me go out and see if I can get a couple of pictures for you guys.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Alright, so I learned that it's tough to show the issue in a photo, but here's a couple anyway. I just had my tires rotated, so the rears just came off the front and they seem to be more noticeable which leads me to believe it's something in the front end that's causing the wear.
I couldn't show the high/low wear of the lugs, but hopefully you can see how the inside shoulders are a different colour which shows the additional wear.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 01:45 PM

Yeah, from the look of the pics, my guess would be that it's got nothing to do with the inflation pressure. If they were underinflated, you'd think both the inside and outside shoulders would be worn. Bad camber adjustment? Have you always been going to get your alignments at the same place? Maybe time to try another shop? Your truck is pretty new, so I can't imagine ball joints, etc. would be worn.

If Princess Auto were a real girl, I'd ask her to marry me.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode