Winter rims and tires question - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

Winter rims and tires question

Guys I know I am new here, but now that I have my new 2010 F150 FX4 Screw, you guys are the best resource.

I am thinking of getting a seperate set of rims and tires. Currently the truck, sits on 18" rims and tires.

Can I run 17" Ford rims on this truck? and put winter tires on them? If I buy the rims with the TPMS sensor will they autosense or do they need to be re-programmed?

Oh the other question,..is there a for sale section on this forum? I can't seem to find one, and if not....why not?

Thanks
Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 10:01 AM

Not sure if you can run 17's or not on a 2010.
I would say you will have to reprogram the tpms.
For sale items are in the classified section ,top of the page and there are tires and
wheels for sale.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 10:16 AM

lildave .... I'm not sure.
As for the classified section, I keep getting the following error "Invalid Post specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator" has anyone else gotten this ?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 12:31 PM

its working fine for me -- try refreshing your browser
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys, never thought to look at the GREEN highlighter Classified link at the top of the page. My other fourms like this I always look down in the sections for the different types of classifieds areas.

17 inch rims and tires are the standard available on the XLT / or XTR 2010 F150.
When I went to the FX4, it automatically changes the tires to 18's

I just want to know if there is any issue putting 17" rims and tires on it for winter.

Thanks
Dave
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 12:53 AM

If the bolt patterns are the same I don't see an issue except with the speedo, unless you get the right size tires to compensate for the smaller rim so that it matches or comes close to the original tire diameter of the 18s, then the speedo shouldn't need to be recalibrated. There is a tire size calculator on this site I'll find it post the link. There are also some others you can find with google.

http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp is one of them.

Whaddya mean I dont pay my bills?? Whydya think I'm broke!!

03 Lariat Crew 4x4 Line-x bedliner, Truxedo Lo-Pro QT Tonneau.
RIP [97 XL 4.2L V6]
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 01:38 PM
Apprentice

Another site to check is the Tire Rack. According to the the tire pressure sensors can be reprogrammed by you without a trip to the dealer. They also show all the recommended tire sizes and they give you alternatives. Even if you don't want to buy from them you can get an idea on what your options are.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 02:23 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lildave View Post
17 inch rims and tires are the standard available on the XLT / or XTR 2010 F150.
When I went to the FX4, it automatically changes the tires to 18's

I just want to know if there is any issue putting 17" rims and tires on it for winter.

Thanks
Dave
No issues what so ever with 17's. I ordered the plain jane OEM 17's from my parts guy at the dealership and then threw on a set of Michelin X-Ice's to protect my summer wheels/tires.

You simply adjust the size and aspect ratio of the tire to compensate for the smaller wheel, and there is no adjustment/worry about recalibrating the speedo. Maintain the same rolling diameter, and the computer doesn't care what's on there, and your speed indication is still 100% accurate. (There's online calculators that will crunch the numbers for you)

Talking my '09 FX4 here - swapped out the 275/65/R18's and alloy wheels for 265/70/R17's with steel wheels form Ford. (Cheap, and no worries on how they fit)

The tire pressure monitor sensor's from Ford have dropped in price to like $50 a corner, so it's worth it to throw a set in and not be bothered with the trouble code, or dash light.

The dealer mounts the new tire/wheels and then essentially goes around to all four corners with a hand held unit, and uses it to tie them in with the on-board.

It's a bit of an investment up-front, but worth it I think if you average the cost of swapping tires, balancing etc, over the four or five years you'll use them.

Plus, after driving with all-seasons, and then snows, there is just no substitute for four good snows, regardless of where you live.

801A - 6550 lb bundle of joy
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT4MT View Post
No issues what so ever with 17's. I ordered the plain jane OEM 17's from my parts guy at the dealership and then threw on a set of Michelin X-Ice's to protect my summer wheels/tires.

You simply adjust the size and aspect ratio of the tire to compensate for the smaller wheel, and there is no adjustment/worry about recalibrating the speedo. Maintain the same rolling diameter, and the computer doesn't care what's on there, and your speed indication is still 100% accurate. (There's online calculators that will crunch the numbers for you)

Talking my '09 FX4 here - swapped out the 275/65/R18's and alloy wheels for 265/70/R17's with steel wheels form Ford. (Cheap, and no worries on how they fit)

The tire pressure monitor sensor's from Ford have dropped in price to like $50 a corner, so it's worth it to throw a set in and not be bothered with the trouble code, or dash light.

The dealer mounts the new tire/wheels and then essentially goes around to all four corners with a hand held unit, and uses it to tie them in with the on-board.

It's a bit of an investment up-front, but worth it I think if you average the cost of swapping tires, balancing etc, over the four or five years you'll use them.

Plus, after driving with all-seasons, and then snows, there is just no substitute for four good snows, regardless of where you live.
Thanks very much for the info!!!

I will have to do the same thing but I have the 20" rims... I tried both sites listed above and found that the P255 70 R17 to put the ratios pretty close.

I can't stand the thought of running the monsters in the snow and salt...

2010 F150 S/Crew 4X4 Lariat
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Awesome !!! THANKS for the info.

Thanks for the info, that is exactly what I was looking for.

Now to call around for 17" rims !

lilDave

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode