Stereo install - VSS and Backup wires - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
Audio and Electronics Alarms, Audio Systems, DVD and GPS Systems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-06-2011, 12:00 AM Thread Starter

Stereo install - VSS and Backup wires

I've been searching but haven't figured it out yet...

On a 2010 Ranger/B4000 where/how would you tap into the Vehicle Speed Sensor and Backup signal wire for a GPS/Stereo install?

Found the OHC that says 2009 is violet/orange. Is 2010 the same? Where is best place to tap?

Haven't found much for the backup wire?

Help please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 01:47 AM

violet/orange seems to be the colour they give from my '07 factory manual. It goes from the PCM to the speed control servo module for the cruise control. From what I can tell, that seems to be the one carrying the speed signal.

BUT -- there is also a different violet/orange wire going from the speed servo to the Smart Junction Box via the brake pedal cruise control deactivator switch. That wire would appear to be just a sensor line (no speed signal).

The reverse lamp wire is on a connector under the body, near the transmission. It's brown / yellow.

Why do you need those signials for your stereo? Is the reverse signal for a backup camera?

What about the VSS? If you have a GPS, isn't the whole idea that it gets it's speed information directly from satellites? If that's just a don't-sue-the-manufacturer "safety feature" to make sure you're not watching movies while you're driving, I'd just bypass it somehow, and then "manually" don't watch movies while you're driving. It seems like a pain to connect. And more unnecessary splices in your wiring harness are an invitation for mystery electrical problems down the road.

Having looked all this over in my factory manuals, it looks complex enough already. I seriously recommend you get yourself a set of manuals on eBay as a reference. You won't regret it if you're installing stuff in your truck. I've used mine LOTS.

Hope some of that helps.

If Princess Auto were a real girl, I'd ask her to marry me.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-07-2011, 10:57 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info I'll get the connections added on soon and I'm already bypassed from the over controlling safey bandits and these connections don't impact any functions.

The navigation system actually uses the VSS and backup wire to work to create more accurate mapping. 3D accurate combination of the GPS signal + Accelerometer + Vehicle Speed Signal with direction (forward/reverse).

The reverse is also used for the backup camera but not for me as I just look back? haha

Good idea on the manuals I've them for my old truck but some things have change from my 95 to my 10.

I've already done things on my truck that I should put pics and share info on here... Tinted windows, Line-X, BAK Rail Caps, rust proofing, stebel natilus air horn, ScanGauge II, hitch reciever cover, rubbermaid floor mats, hose clamp tailgate, mud flap delete, Cargo light 3rd brake light, explorer lighted double visors, mustang dome light, fog light mod, Mountaineer ohc, bosch evolution wipers, GenK51a mirror with 3xgarage openers+exterior temp+compass, Kenwood p680c speakers, Underhood LED engine lights, Ranger winter rims 245/75-16 Blizzak DMV-1's, 265lbs winter bed weight in BedRock bed bag, Pioneer AVIC x930bt stereo with traffic, JimmiJammer and lock guard, B-quite soundproofing everywhere, cup holder dampers

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2011, 06:57 PM

Wow! Sounds like you've got your truck well kitted-out.

I didn't know the navigation systems would use all of that information. That's pretty neat. I've just got a $95 Chinese GPS on a windshield clip, LOL! It does the job, though.

I got my Ford factory manual set a few years ago on eBay for around $70 - $80. It answered a lot of questions for me. It has 3 volumes, so it's quite comprehensive. I find the way it's organized can be a little confusing at times. For some things, you have to refer to 2 different books and look at 5 different pages. I imagine there must be a CD version, to make it easier to search. That way you could just print out the information you need and have it all in one spot.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-23-2011, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

B4000 Thanks for the help I got all the connections done and it's pretty impressive how well it uses all the info to improve the GPS function.

I taped the brown/yellow for backup at the tail light as my transmission was behind skid plates ect... so I just ran to the place with open access to the wire. A bit of work making it clean running the wire down the frame but it's clean so I'm happy.

The VSS I taped at the speed control servo. There is two violet/orange wires are you mentioned. The lower one on the connector is the speed senor signal.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 12:19 AM

Glad to hear you got it all set up. Sounds like it's a pretty slick unit.

Now that I think about it, it makes sense that the navigation system uses the VSS signal. I know I've been in areas with tall buildings and my GPS has choked (causing me to miss a turn). You'd think the software would "smooth" the data out in those situations, and give a rough estimate (ie., calculate based on the speed and direction prior to losing GPS signal). I guess it doesn't, unless there's something in the configuration to enable that?

Serves me right for not knowing where I'm going!

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2011, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

From the GPSs I've used some do that smoothing a bit better but they still get messed up when you start making turns.

The unit is really slick with everything hooked and should really help in place with tall buildings and narrow roads. It can keep track when I go in circles to get to my work parking 4 stories underground and come out the opposite side of the building from where I entered.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode