removing the stock radio in 2001 F-150 - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
Audio and Electronics Alarms, Audio Systems, DVD and GPS Systems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to lightning25
removing the stock radio in 2001 F-150

Folks,

I am wanting to remove my stock radio in my 2001 lightning. I know you need the keys to remove it, but ford is retarded and won't let me borrow the keys to remove it (since my truck is in the garage w/ half an engine).

SO my question is, is there another easy way to remvoe the radio? can you buy the keys from crappy tire or is there an easy way to make ones to fit??

Thanks!!
Sean

I'm canadian, eh!
2001 Ford Lightning
13.1 - 1/4 @ 105mph

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 08:50 PM

Send a message via MSN to Viper238
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning25 View Post
Folks,

I am wanting to remove my stock radio in my 2001 lightning. I know you need the keys to remove it, but ford is retarded and won't let me borrow the keys to remove it (since my truck is in the garage w/ half an engine).

SO my question is, is there another easy way to remvoe the radio? can you buy the keys from crappy tire or is there an easy way to make ones to fit??

Thanks!!
Sean
You have to pop the dash panel that surrounds the radio..
After that use the keys to pull the radio out!

No the only way is using something to stick in the 4 holes..

Yes crappy tire sells them.. Honestly.. Just rent them.. buy and then return them.. Just say they don't work.. You think the some already tried that.. now need to see a mechanic..

but only other way I've gotten the radio outta one when the tabs are bent and the keys don't work is pop/bust off the front face panel.. stick some small screw drivers in each of the holes to pry it out..

Once you pop the panel surround the radio off you will see the dash plastic is solid all the way down each side and you won't be able to get it out other then with the keys...
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 08:56 PM

Thumbs down Removal of the factory radio

If you borrow a set of them you can make your own. It's very easy to do, all you need is coat hanger(steel), cut two pieces about 6-8 inches long.Then bend then to fit in the holes. They are springs, so when you put them in the holes pull to outside of the radio nad pull straight back, the radio should come right out. Let me know how you make out.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 08:57 PM

Thumbs down Removal of the factory radio

If you borrow a set of them you can make your own. It's very easy to do, all you need is coat hanger(steel), cut two pieces about 6-8 inches long.Then bend then to fit in the holes. They are springs, so when you put them in the holes pull to outside of the radio and pull straight back, the radio should come right out. Let me know how you make out.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-14-2008, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

thanks guys!!!
it won't be til the weekend as i work far away from where my baby is sitting. i'll try the coat hanger, or if i see them at crappy tire tomorrow when i go i'll pick em up.

I'm canadian, eh!
2001 Ford Lightning
13.1 - 1/4 @ 105mph

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 12:41 AM

Send a message via MSN to Bush_aholic
They are cheap at crappy tire, I don't think you have to pull your dash on the '01(if you have to pull the dash plate it should just be screws holding it in), The key's have little grooves to bite when you pull plus loops to help. You might have a hard time to get it out with the coat hanger cause I have pulled out a few 97-03 stock radios and they don't always come out really easy, but sometimes they do.

The little grooves on the end face towards inside of radio (should hear a click sound)and then you pry on all four key's outwards and pull at same time. to remove key's from radio twist them to get the grove out and pull them out one by one. Hope that makes sense the instructions on the package suck.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...08474396672459

I only drive in the city, to get out of it!!!
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 05:52 AM

In my old '98,all i did is removed the dash panel,and cut two ends off of a coat hanger,slid them into the 4 holes,and it pulled right out.

2008 Oxford White F150 FX2 SPORT Super Crew,5.4L.
2003 Satin Silver Clearcoat Mustang GT,4.6L 2V,5 speed.
stripped,slammed,& cammed!

aka 1LOW03GT
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bush_aholic View Post
They are cheap at crappy tire, I don't think you have to pull your dash on the '01(if you have to pull the dash plate it should just be screws holding it in), The key's have little grooves to bite when you pull plus loops to help. You might have a hard time to get it out with the coat hanger cause I have pulled out a few 97-03 stock radios and they don't always come out really easy, but sometimes they do.

The little grooves on the end face towards inside of radio (should hear a click sound)and then you pry on all four key's outwards and pull at same time. to remove key's from radio twist them to get the grove out and pull them out one by one. Hope that makes sense the instructions on the package suck.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...08474396672459

thanks!!!

ill be going to crappy tire tonight to pick up some other stuff, i'll pick them up too! only $9 and i don't have any metal coat hangers nor do i want any hassles!

I'm canadian, eh!
2001 Ford Lightning
13.1 - 1/4 @ 105mph

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 03:42 PM

Garage
I am not 100% sure if your stereo is the same, but in the past I have used the 2 pcs of coat hanger bent into a "U" and it worked great.

2014 F150 FX4 | SuperCrew | 5.0L | 4x4 | Sterling Grey Metallic

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode