CD install - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
Audio and Electronics Alarms, Audio Systems, DVD and GPS Systems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

CD install

Ok so it's not in my truck but I want to put a stereo in my trailer.
I have the hole cut and speakers mounted and wires run, but I was told that I have to be careful hooking up the power wires? So do I just hook the ground wire up and then put the power wire along with the yellow Mem. wire together? (and then the speaker wires)
The reason I ask is because I was told that if you try a CD player by hooking it directly to a battery it will fry it, and this is basically what I am doing to it now?
Just want to check before I do something stupid...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 09:40 AM

You should be fine
I did same install on my Golf cart
All I did was add the switch on the positive side
Do the speakers and negative than add switched positive as the last wire
Post some pics after you are done

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 12:22 PM

Send a message via MSN to Bush_aholic
I have hooked up direct to a battery before to get out a Cd. You should be fine as long as it's well grounded and properly fused I wouldn't put one much bigger then 10 amps(even 5 to be safe) just incase. and yes you can hook up the yellow accessories switch wire to the red power wire. Just make sure you turn the power off the CD player every time your done or like Matt said put a switch in to kill the power.

We used to do this in the bush too had subs and everything hooked up!

I only drive in the city, to get out of it!!!

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 02:19 PM Thread Starter

Ok so I did the install and have checked the wiring several times and it works sort of?
The power should come on with just the acc. wire hooked up but I have to have both the acc. and mem. wire hooked up together and all seems fine but with the ant. hooked up for the radio...I get a loud buzzing sound along with the radio or cd...not sure what is going on with it.
I have installed several cd players in cars and Trucks and never had this problem(maybe the player is just no good its just a cheap one out of my daughters car but it worked fine in the car)
One other question I guess I have never noticed before but is it normal for these things to get really hot in the back? Normally can't see or touch them there but this is open in the back and gets really hot to touch?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 05:45 PM

Send a message via MSN to Viper238
Alright..
Well space out your block of words.. Honestly it is just confusing me..
As for just the power coming on with just the ACC (red). That only happens on same radios. Most of the time you need both ACC (red) and MEM/POWER (yellow) on both for the radio to turn on.

What kind of trailer are you hooking up to?
Where is the battery located?
How far is the radio away from the radio?
What wiring is inbetween the radio and the battery?

Yellow on most radios is the main power/constant.. It actually feeds power to the radio and holds the memory.

Red is usually the ACC/IGN turn on.. It is usually a signal to the radio to turn on fully.. but the power is pulled thru the yellow wire.. Hense why the yellow is often bigger on the better decks.

To me it sounds like you have a bad ground. Which could be caused by a number of things..

Yes car decks do get fairly hot.. Cheaper they are, the hotter they get I find, and yes I have actually gotten burnt from one before.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-10-2008, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

The trailer is a fifth wheel Terry Resort. ( which I haul with my v6 auto 4x4 long box )

The battery is located at the front of the trailer and the stereo is located at the back of the trailer, The wires that I used are the 12 volt light wires already in place.

There was already a radio tape deck installed in this location I just removed it and cut a different size hole and used the wires for power and ground already there....? The one that I removed worked great other than being a tape deck I figured an easy install...

The part that has me confused is it seemed to work ok, so I plugged the radio ant. in and that causes it to hum very loud through the speakers...radio works just along with the hum noise.
Nothing really changed except tape deck for a cd player....I am beginning to think the deck is no good

I even hooked up the old tape deck again and it worked ...thats why I am saying the cd deck is no good (other than it worked ok in her car)

I guess I will have to start looking for another cheapee used deck..........
Thanks for the replies and sorry for the block of frustration

And I really don't want to transfer my Cd collection to tape.....
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 12:26 AM

I think you can get a noise reducer or something like that for antenna noise at Crappy Tire. I'll try to find it can't remember the proper name off hand.

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 12:30 AM

Garage
The hum you hear is normaly from a bad ground somewhere in the system. Try grounding the decks case (outer metal shell) to the same wire as your ground. Check out http://www.bcae1.com/ mainly area 62 & 126

It also might be that your ground wire is to small, an insuficiently sized wire on the ground can also lead to noise(hum) You might need to run a larger ground wire.

2005 Ranger 4.0l Auto, 4x4, 4-door, 4.10, Explorer leather seats & Full length console, OHC, Misc other stuff
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 02:37 AM

Defiantly check your ground wire first but you can also try this it what I was talking about earlier, better than buying a new deck and if it don't work you can always bring it back.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/pr...08474396672459

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

:icon_smile: Thanks guys for the replies......great site there Veskeyw.
I will check it out the suggestions

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode