Electronic/Digital Brake Controller - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
Audio and Electronics Alarms, Audio Systems, DVD and GPS Systems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Electronic/Digital Brake Controller

Okay... so I've never had a vehicle that had one of these... and as I'm heading to Florida with a 28' dual axle trailer... loaded with sportbikes... I think that I should have one installed.

Do you have one that you put in?
What is a good brand to go with when looking at an aftermarket brake controller?

Any help would be appreciated so that I can make an informed decision... and being able to stop seems like a good thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 01:17 PM

I bought one of these still have to put it in though http://www.etrailer.com/p-90185-3035...eid=2004106261

Also do you have a transmission cooler installed factory or aftermarket?

http://www.fordtough.ca/forums/signaturepics/sigpic435_3.gif
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 03:58 PM

Go with the Prodigy.

Prodigy® is the most intelligent brake control. This powerful control features new motion sensor technology similar to what is used in the aerospace industry. With Prodigy® no manual level adjustment is necessary, it adjusts itself to varying terrains as you drive. It is equipped with a sensor that detects the tow vehicle's rate of deceleration, applies proportional braking to the trailer and features an exclusive "BoostSM" feature that gives users the ability to apply more initial trailer braking power (especially when towing heavier trailers). For backing into tough spots this is the only inertia control that works proportionally in reverse. A digital display depicts voltage delivery to the trailer during braking and displays continual diagnostics check for proper connection, shorted magnet condition, open ground and much more. A unique pocket mount allows for flexible mounting options (standard mounting bracket included). Prodigy® includes a 3 ft. pigtail connector for ease of connection when using a vehicle's brake control wire harness. A quick and easy disconnect feature allows users to remove the control when not in use and store in a supplied protective pouch. Prodigy® meets National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) regulations regarding tow vehicle/trailer light activation. It also offers a limited lifetime warranty (some conditions apply).

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKRWZ View Post
I bought one of these still have to put it in though http://www.etrailer.com/p-90185-3035...eid=2004106261

Also do you have a transmission cooler installed factory or aftermarket?
Not sure.... not unless a transmission cooler is already on my truck. Is this something that I need to have?

Sorry guys... I know more about bikes than I do about trucks...
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 04:52 PM

A transmission cooler would be on your truck factory if it came with the "TOW" package and it is a worth while investment to put one on if you don't have one

http://www.fordtough.ca/forums/signaturepics/sigpic435_3.gif
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 06:39 PM

I have 2 different ones in my trucks and I like one over the other but I'm not sure what kind they are. I do recomend it though. I will never tow a trailer without brakes again (well maybe a small utility trailer)

I second the suggestion for a tranny cooler.

1997 F-150 xl
1984 Honda XR200R (the toy)
2007 Honda CRF100f (the spare toy)
2005 Jayco Baja 10Y (the home away from home)
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 10:10 PM

I second the Prodigy, but if you want one better I have heard really good things about the Tekonsha P-3 Trailer Brake Controller, made by the same manufacturer.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-18-2008, 10:58 PM

i have the prodigy in my truck and love it!. However you only need one if the brakes on the trailer are going to locking up when you break. Which means that you have lots of weight in the trailer! how many bikes are you putting in it?
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 12:11 AM

i have the p-3 in my truck it's great,gives a very smooth stop with my 24' holiday trailer,and auto adjusts gain.

a moments silence for the shelbyx,i hope her new owner enjoys as much.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyhitter View Post
i have the prodigy in my truck and love it!. However you only need one if the brakes on the trailer are going to locking up when you break. Which means that you have lots of weight in the trailer! how many bikes are you putting in it?
We're going to be towing 4-5 bikes at an average of 400lbs each. plus associated gear (leathers, helmets, clothes, etc).

The trailer is a dual axle 28' long, pointed nose jobby. I would feel more comfortable having brake control over it, even though we're taking steps to balance the load etc... and we have a ton of space to spread it over.

Last year we shoe-horned 4 bikes in a 6x12 trailer, and towed it with a '92 Blazer. NEVER AGAIN will we tow ghetto like that. 26 hours with my heart in my throat wondering if we were going to make it.

I want to make sure that this is a smooth trip, no worries... and safety first.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode