Head unit, Good deal? - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
Audio and Electronics Alarms, Audio Systems, DVD and GPS Systems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Head unit, Good deal?

I've been searching for a good deal on a Kenwood DDX814 Head unit, as I'm partial to Kenwood.
I know there are a lot of double DIN head units to look at out there, however I did come across this yesterday, and thinking it may just be what I'm after.
It says "Factory Replacement" and offers plug n play wiring, 7" LCD, NAV, bluetooth, SD card reader etc... actually all the bell and whistles and aftermarket power output to boot, all for what seems like a really good price.
Can anyone tell me is this exactly the same unit put in by Ford?, and or any feedback on it's performance, features and maybe how you would rate it.
Thanks....

http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/S...id/0/SFV/30046

<<<I started with nothing... and luckily I think I still have most of it left>>>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-03-2010, 07:31 PM

It appears to me that this is not a brand name head unit. As far as being a special Ford radio, it is not. It appears they have just installed the plastic dash adapter for you (or maybe just for the picture). The wiring is not unique to Ford either as they state in the description that they include an interface cable " Plug & Play Installation (Factory Interface Plug Included)" It is just a standard double DIN unit.
So here is the Kenwood that you really want for similar money and this place claims that they include all border costs & tax right up front. You would just need to add your dash kit and wire adapter.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...-DDX-814-.html
Accessories would be extra like steering wheel interface (if you have the controls) an Ipod adapter, NAV unit so you would spend more but at least your getting a brand name unit.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-04-2010, 07:19 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to hogdust
I have had 4 different Kenwood decks in different cars and was always more then happy with them. A friend of mine just put there latest top of the line one in his Vette and it sounds awesome.

To make it plug and play all then is required is the proper Ford adapter and you hook up the appropiate cable on each side to each other. The deck cables will have labels on them to indicate what they are and the adapter will have a diagram to show where it need to go.

2019 RAM 1500 Big Horn Northern Edition - Patriot Blue Pearl
Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover - Flowmaster 10 Muffler - Tint - Side Steps - Bedrug - 20x9 Fuel Beast Wheels - TrailFX Bull Bar with Light Bar

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode