Shallow Mount Subs - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
Audio and Electronics Alarms, Audio Systems, DVD and GPS Systems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 04:11 PM Thread Starter

Shallow Mount Subs

Looking for some feedback on aftermarket shallow mount subs...
Outside of the Ford factory set up, wondering who's using what in their down firing boxes, brand?, size?, power? one or two? What have you heard?
I'm considering the Pioneer Premier shallow mounts, or more likely the Kicker CVT's but the sales dept. at Sonic Electronix recommends the MTX Thunder Thin, as quote "the BEST shallow mount sub woofer on the market", but of course its more money. I've looked at all the specs and the Pioneer on paper has the best frequency range, the right power RMS for my application and a far better sensitivity rating than the more expensive MTX (needs more power).
However all that being said, it's how it sounds to the ear that counts, and the honest answers come from the guys n gals using them

<<<I started with nothing... and luckily I think I still have most of it left>>>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 05:15 PM

Send a message via MSN to taisa899
when I had the system in my truck I used 2 pioneer 10" subs. Beat the crap out of them and no problems

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Nitrous is like a beautiful girl with an STD. You know you want to hit it but you're afraid of the consequences
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 10:09 PM

Send a message via MSN to lumberjack
I have a pioneer 10" in a down firing box under the rear seat in my supercab, pounds hard sounds really good. Kids love when the rear seat vibrates lol my nephew made the box and did the install

Lumberjack
2010 F150 Supercrew 4X4

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 02:36 PM

Ever considered the Thin 13 from PowerAcoustik? I'm going to see if that's the ticket for my Dad's Truck...

http://www.poweracoustik.com/pa2006/...of_thin13.html

Might be something else to consider...

I had 2x 10 PowerAcoustik BL10's in my Focus, driven by an amp that was putting about 180-ish watts RMS into each @ 2 ohms stereo, and they were stupid loud! Only cost me $89.00 each, and they were at the time, the cheapest 10's that PowerAcoustik made. I like their products in general, and their amps and subs get great reviews, especailly when it comes to product : price ratio/ value for money...

L8tz!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 06:38 PM Thread Starter

Well I decided on the Kicker CVT's, picked up a set of last years models more than reasonably priced. I'm going to tweak the pre-fab MDF box I bought a bit and we'll see how they perform, after all it is downward firing and limited air space. I think they will be adequate for the daily driver and my budget. I've built a couple of decent systems in the past so I'm curious to see how these will sound...
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-30-2010, 10:51 PM

Send a message via MSN to Viper238
Personally 2 subs I think will be too much.
You might need to open a window to get proper airflow to get the best sound.

In a truck, i find best sound comes from 1 sub.

The box lumberjack is talking about is this.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 05-01-2010, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Nice workmanship!!!
Because I've built boxes in the past, I really did want to design my own too, I def think there can be some improvements made, but I found an Atrends 2 x10" fully carpeted MDF box for less than a hundred, thats way less than my times worth, Lol.
So to get this system done I figured I'd give this a shot, and then I'll take some measurments of this box as a starting point and play around with it in 3D modelling here at work and then lay out my templates in CAD, for quick, easy and accurate construction.
You mentioned air flow... I too was wondering how well these downward firing subs would breath, and how they would sound when they're projecting right at the floor.
I'm not sure about this construction but in my past experiences, I've prefered the tighter sound of 2 10 inches vs 1 12 inch.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-12-2010, 01:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivesthebeast View Post
Ever considered the Thin 13 from PowerAcoustik? I'm going to see if that's the ticket for my Dad's Truck...

http://www.poweracoustik.com/pa2006/...of_thin13.html

Might be something else to consider...

I had 2x 10 PowerAcoustik BL10's in my Focus, driven by an amp that was putting about 180-ish watts RMS into each @ 2 ohms stereo, and they were stupid loud! Only cost me $89.00 each, and they were at the time, the cheapest 10's that PowerAcoustik made. I like their products in general, and their amps and subs get great reviews, especailly when it comes to product : price ratio/ value for money...

L8tz!
How would something like this be mounted to the underside of the rear seat (Supercrew) ??? Would it facing down cause any probs ?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 07:40 PM

I went with a Rockford Fosgate P3 Punch shallow mount 10" subwoofer, mostly becuase I couldn't get my hands on the sub I wanted and it was the next best fit for a very small enclosure. AIK, RF asks for 0.4-1.0 ft^3, with ~0.6 ft^3 being optimal for a sealed enclosure. I built my box to roughly 0.36 ft^3 and stuffed it with a 1/2 lb of poly hoping to 'increase' the volume a bit. Honestly, it sounds slightly better with the poly in it, but the box is just too small. When the weather warms up I'll build another one. The reason I didn't go bigger was to save 100% of the room under the 60% bench seat. As is, I can lift the 60% split up and the box doesn't intrude, at all.

That said, the sound isn't great. It doesn't hit very hard and distorts badly at moderate volume. This is partly due to the fact that I don't have an EQ, nor does the factory stereo. The only control I have over the sub is the gain, and it's low and high pass filters via my amp and LOC. I would probably air on the side of caution and NOT buy this sub, since it doesn't seem top respond well below ~45Hz and becomes very muddy above ~80Hz, making it better suited as a mid range driver rather than a sub, IMO. This could be an enclosure problem, so I'll post an update when I replace it.

In RF's defense, I've heard some good reviews on this sub, and I havn't written it off yet.

Power is from an old Pioneer GM-5000T, which is well suited to the power rating of the woofer. I'm using stock headunit with what I'll call a 'T-Harness' that I used to tie my two amps and line-out converter into the factory harness.. All factory wiring is intact and uncut, including speaker terminal ends.

What would I try if I could? The Pioneer TS-SW250 series is what I wanted, but couldn't find. Secondly, the Kicker 10CVT series. Both have a rated frequency response of around 20Hz, versus the 45Hz of the Rockford.

Last edited by Orangetang; 03-09-2011 at 07:58 PM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 11:47 PM

Send a message via MSN to lumberjack
Orangetang why didn't you make your sub box full width of the seat ? not like you can put alot of stuff under the seats anyways. Go upand look at the enclosure Viper238 made, it fit snug under the rear seat and held 1 10" sub and pounded like crazy, how do I know you ask well thats my box he made for me, had it in a 2010 F150 supercab.

Lumberjack
2010 F150 Supercrew 4X4

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode