Well finally got the mod done, about 99% just need a better tube to go from the box to the hole in the fender but whats there works ok for now just kinda cheesy, just glad you can't see it in the pics.
Well this idea started with going to try a Marine battery box but there were going to be too many clearance issues so my friend who helped me suggested one of those flip top kitchen garbage cans. We searched and found a nice shiny stainless steel one.
We gutted the inside lid mechanisims and took out the internal trash bin.
We cut the top off of the internal bin to keep the flanged end as a seal for the top. We had to cut about 2.5" off the top of the can itself because it was too long. We then cut a 3" hole in the lid to match the diameter of the air filter adapter and the MAF adapter. Using that black gasket goop we made a tight seal on both sides of the lid. In order to make a tight seal on both sides of the internal bin flange we used self-adhesive rubber weather stripping. Next we had to cut a 3" hole in the bottom of the trash can to put in a 3" flange with about a 2" pipe coming out of it to try to adapt it to the hole in the fender but we found there was not enough clearance at the bottom of the bin for good air flow around the filter so we used what I can only describe as a 6" plastic flange that you might use for a roof vent. Anyway we cut the hole in the bottom of the can to 6" then used the roof flange which extended about 2" out from the bottom of the trash can, this gave us enough clearance for good airflow. We used more of the gasket goop and some small 7/32" nuts/bolts to secure it to the trash can. Now we needed to reduce the 6" pipe to fit the 3" hole in the fender. We used a 6" tin stopper from Home Depot and just riveted it to the 6" roof flange. We then cut out a 3" hole for the 3" flange and use more gasket goop and rivets to secure it. Then we had to use some tin dryer flex hose to get it into the hole in the fender but this is just a temp measure. Going to the junkyard next week to get an old stock airbox and use the snorkle tube off of that.
To secure the lid to the rest of the trash can and to make it easy to remove the filter we riveted 2 chest latches, 1 per side. For now the latches are secure with zip ties so they don't pop open. To clean the filter you pop the latches, loosen the hose clamps at the throttle body, disconnect the MAF, temp sensor and that other hose from the intake tube, loosen the bolt on the support bracket,then just ease it out.
Sorry there are no pics of the building of it but my friend was getting a tad pissed at how long it was taking and the mistakes we made in making it so I didnt want to waste time. The following pics are of the finished product. It looks like the lid is not sealed but it is.
Total cost of this mod was more than I expected but that because I made a few mistakes in the making of it. I figure close to $50. Most of that cost was for the trash can. It even came with a 5 year warranty, but I'm pretty sure I voided that in the first 10 min of the build