AF1 CAI kit "Macgyver Limited Edition MkII" - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
Projects and Build-Ups Post about your current project, latest mods, and build-up.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

AF1 CAI kit "Macgyver Limited Edition MkII"

Well after much hashing out different ideas and what materials to use, and trying out at least 3 different shapes for the box, my buddy and I finally finished the Mark II version of the sealed airbox. Some of you may be familiar with the Mark I, the infamous stainless trashcan airbox. Well this time we went with a more box like shape, ok closer to a trapezoid since the back side is not vertical but is angled back towards the firewall.

We used some thin sheet metal, a lot of pop rivets with backers for added strength, silicone to seal the seams and the insides of the rivets to make it air tight, some 1" weather striping to make a nice seal for the lid, and 8 3/4" X 11 1/2" piece of clear plexiglass for a lid. We also used part of the rubber snorkle tube form a junk OEM airbox that I got from a junkyard so we have a solid unobstructed airway right to the outside fender.

Using his small metal bender really made this job easier but while making the small shelf for the inside of the box where the lid would sit, we broke the cheap ass bender on the last bend. Took it back to Princess Auto and they gave him a new one so no loss there.

We slowly drilled 4 holes in the plexiglass, we were going to use SS wingnuts but the left rear one touched the hood when closed so we just used SS nuts instead, no clearance issues.

The clear lid makes it look really sharp. Just need two cosmetic things to make it better. Going to either paint the inside or use the spray on rockerpanel guard stuff to hid all the silicon seams. Then need to get some small rubber gasket to go around the top edge of the box so ppl don't cut themselves on the razor sharp edge.

Once he emails me the pics he took I'll post them.

Whaddya mean I dont pay my bills?? Whydya think I'm broke!!

03 Lariat Crew 4x4 Line-x bedliner, Truxedo Lo-Pro QT Tonneau.
RIP [97 XL 4.2L V6]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2009, 04:43 PM

Send a message via MSN to Slim188

2009 Ranger 4x4 Sport
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 01:19 AM Thread Starter

Ok finally got the pics.

RIP [97 XL 4.2L V6]

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 10:21 AM

Looks good!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-09-2010, 04:05 PM
Master Mechanic

Send a message via MSN to v8ranger
did you notice a gain in this nice work as well man
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

I have no scientific results, but the gains are the same as when I had the old Mark I version. Just the normal gains you'd get from a CAI.

One thing I have noticed is that now matter how long of a drive or how hot the outside temp is, I can put my hand on the CAI pipe and it's just warm to the touch. Another guy on a different forum has posted that his AF1 CAI pipe is so hot after just a 15 min drive that he can't hold his hand on it for more than a few seconds. He doesn't have a heatshield or a cold air box so I would have to assume its that hot due to the underhood temps?

I did add some rubber padding to the top edges to give it a cleaner look. Once the Ram air hood plans happen then all I have to do is take the lid off and its all set for ram air.

RIP [97 XL 4.2L V6]
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 09:07 PM
Master Mechanic

Send a message via MSN to v8ranger
well sounds like it did help you out then by cooling the air tempetures now get her back to the track man an see what she will run or maybe another dyno run to
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 12:54 AM Thread Starter

I'm hoping to get a few passes in this year to see what gains the new rear end gives me, but right now $$$ is pretty tight..having to save up for a camping trip later this summer.

RIP [97 XL 4.2L V6]

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode