FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts - View Single Post - Moving to Whitehorse from TO, winterizing my B4000
View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-17-2009, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Varsity Tyler

Moving to Whitehorse from TO, winterizing my B4000

Hey kids,

For a while now I've tossed around the idea of moving north to the Yukon from Toronto, and now come October I'm making that happen. I've given notice at my shop and I'll be leaving Oct 21. With a detour to Vancouver to see some family, I plan on being in Whitehorse around the 5th of November.

Yes, I know it's cold. I've been to the Territories before, but never in the winter. Tonight I spoke with my cousins who live just outside Whitehorse for some help planning, but the more help I can get the better.

So for my 4x4, 5-speed B4000 ...

- light engine oil (0W30 synthetic instead of 5W30 syn.)
- drain and fill coolant with proper mix for -50ish
- more gas line anti-freeze for the washer fluid
- gas line anti-freeze for the gas
- make sure the block heater works : )
- magnetic pan heater
- heated battery blanket

Do I need to do anything for my tranny, x-fer case and diffs?

Otherwise, since I'm a wrench and I'm moving cross the country I'll have my toolbox in the bed. So I'll be set for tools in case of an emergency. And of course I'll have a bit of a safety/survival kit for the 'just in case' scanarios. My favourite for those is methly hydrate absorbed into a roll of TP stuffed into a tobacco tin. Strike a match to it and you have instant canned heat for hours : )

Also, I'm taking my quad with me. It has a plow blade on it, so I think I'll use it this winter to help clear snow. I guess the same tips go for the ATV?

For my outboard I guess just drain the bottom end and empty the carb and lines? And the chainsaw ..... I think I'll just run it dry and drain out any bar oil. Or am I stupid? lol

2003 GMC Sierra 3500 -- dually, 4x4, hasn't blown up yet and that's what i look for in a truck

Ford Doctor -- They come in broken and leave fixed. Ford of Canada Master Tech

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome