Ford Tough - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts banner

Battery Dies!

3K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Cowboy 
#1 ·
Since I bought my 2008 Sport, I have started to work out of town. I usually get home every second weekend or so.

The truck is pretty well bone stock. No A/C and no power anything behind a 3.0l with automatic transmission.When the Ranger sits while I am away (2 weeks outside) the battery is dead and it won't start without a jump or the battery being charged. Yesterday I hooked up the charger and it showed only 48% charge when I started.

I have an after-market alarm/remote start system, but have not been engaging it to see if that may be causing the power draw. The battery still dies after two weeks. This has been happening for a year.

The kicker is that most of us drive our trucks daily so finding someone else with knowledge of this problem may be tough. Any ideas or does anyone know if this is a problem?

#3 ·
even better put an amp meter in series with the neg cable you should have 20-80mA draw(.02-.08amps)if it's higher than that start pulling fuses to find what is drawing current.

#4 ·
Even though you are not arming your alarm it will still draw power if the alarm is connected directly to the battery terminal.

The first year I left my Mustang in the garage over the winter the alarm did a weird chirp intermittenly even though it wasn't armed. After that the battery was DOA. I pulled the direct feed for the alarm off of the battery and the battery has been fine ever since.

Maybe this is your problem as well.

#6 ·
Its' your alarm system. There is always a draw of power. My Superduty does the same thing with the command start security. I work in the bush 2 weeks in and 2 weeks out. It wasn't until I turned off the toggle switch for the command start that my batteries didn't die.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.