To build or to swap.... - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
Diesel Engines Intake, Exhaust, Tunes, and Mechanical Info

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

To build or to swap....

that is the question....

whats your opinions on building a 6.0L as a daily driver to be reliable or swaping out for a Cummins.....

I recently bought an SCT programmer for the truck (used from kijiji) works great and def a huge change in the trucks performance and towing BUT..... its stock no work done to the innerds and I know its a time bomb to when it fails I recently did an oilchange and found that an oil leak it had before seems to be getting worse it doesnt leak to the ground (at least not noticed) and doesnt use oil on the dipstick but has covered the entire underside of the engine im hopeing its not the bedplate but im thinking so....

So its either i start gathering parts for a reliable 6.0L or looking for a wrecked or parts dodge for a Cummins engine and get parts for this swap...

plus anyone know a Ford Diesel tech willing to do the work for cash/beer lol ?? (cheaper then the dealership) if I went with building a 6.0L ? I've got a shop and hoist available to pull the cab and airsetup for airtools just needs to be done in a weekend... and tech to bring specialty tools.... or id drive to a place if need be USA or CANADA.

truck runs healthy now but want to be prepared

2007 F350 6.0L Ext cab short box 4x4
2000 F150 5.4L Reg cab short box 2wd
?? always looking for a new ford project !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-28-2011, 11:28 PM

Garage
Do you have to go thru air care where you live?

The Hauler - '05 F-350 4x4 CC Dually 6.0 Powerstroke
The Project - '90 Ford Bronco 4x4
The wife's - '11 Ford Escape
For every minute you are away from work...you can add two minutes to your life!
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 08:30 AM Thread Starter

yes we do but the trucks less then 7 yrs old so it doesnt require one yet... and i have Farm plates so theres no etest required (untill they decide to change something again)

Theres the guy from the southern states that builds up bullet proof 6.0L's if it wasnt for the long drive id consider going down there have a motor ready and just swap and add the extras on when I got there.

Without going to a dealership ive yet to really hear of a good diesel shop locally that knows the 6.0L problems. There was a company in the toronto area adv on kijiji they had x ford diesel techs at a reduced rate but havent seen the add in awhile....

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 12:14 PM

I am getting close to having to make the exact same decision as you. For me it will likely be next year.
There is no doubt I would prefer, hands down, to put the cummins in. Better MPG, more room under the hood, major "cool" factor.
With this comes a cost, I expect that a 6.ohoh can be built reliable and installed at the $6K range where as the cummins swap will likely be in the $12K range.

So it it worth it? That's the $6,000 question I haven't answered yet.
The one thing I do know is eitehr option is better than a new truck, I am not getting into DPF, eurea injection, etc. No way.

The one thing that could reduce the price gap is the purchase of the cummins. Buying a complete write off dodge and selling off the leftovers might reduce the cost significantly. I found an 05 for aprox $7K in the US that was hit on both sides of the cab. front clip box and all running gear was fine. There would definitely be some good salvage $ in that truck once you pirated what you needed for the swap.

I wish we lived in the same town, this could be an interesting project to do both trucks!

I don't have a ford tech on tap but I do have a friend that does most of the advanced work on my truck. He has completely rebuild a transmission in my truck, done front & rear diff's and he does it right in my garage. A very talented guy. I expect he will be helping me with my swap when the time comes.

Keep us posted on your decision and progress!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 12:36 PM

Garage
I was going to suggest an EGR delete kit...but if you can't, too bad. The best option is the Bulletproof (http://www.bulletproofdiesel.com/) EGR if you have to have one. Then you'll want headstuds and an SCT tuner. Oh, and an "open" turbo-back exhaust system.

I've got an egr delete kit with 4" exhaust (no cat) and the tuner. This winter, I'm going to pull the heads off and replace the head gaskets and install ARP headstuds. Then I won't be afraid to go on my tuner and upload a "fun" tune.

I love my 6.0 and in my case, love having way higher reliability and I "trust" my motor now. The sound is incredible too...sounds like a big block. The Cummins swap is a cool way to go too, and they can make a lot of power.

The Hauler - '05 F-350 4x4 CC Dually 6.0 Powerstroke
The Project - '90 Ford Bronco 4x4
The wife's - '11 Ford Escape
For every minute you are away from work...you can add two minutes to your life!

Last edited by Fordsforever6.0; 07-29-2011 at 01:00 PM.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 02:43 PM

I have never had a smog test done on a diesel because I have never kept one more than about 3 years (until now) so I am no authority on smog testing diesels.
But if the requirements are the same as cars (I don't know what GVWR the requirements change) then it is just a visual test. In the case of one guy I know with a Jetta, they look out the door of the shop while it's idling and if there is no cloud of smoke around the car they write the ticket.
If thats the case, lose the EGR.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 03:05 PM

I just checked out the goods at bulletproof diesel. Definitely an option worth looking at.
Interesting, I looked at the price of the oil filters they use in their oil cooler replacement kit. They used a fairly rare filter from Fiat farm tractors.. I was able to read the part # from the photo of the filter in their store.

They want $28 on sale from $32 on their web site for it. I was able to cross it to a FRAM PH2883 at about $10 from Rock Auto and a WIX 51832 at about $14. The $30 filter price would have been a deal breaker for me.

I must say that their filter pricing is a black mark against them for me seeing the gouging in something as common as an oil filter but that aside, their stuff looks like it's well designed and well made just based on the pictures and writeup of what they accomplished with each component.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

ive been keeping an eye out on a few sites for a donar truck but they all seem to go past a resonable point in price even with figuring in selling parts i wouldnt need.

a buddy bought an 07 mega cab short box 4x4 for $15000 from an ontario source add said driveable and no frame damage well its 100% not driveable and the frames a write off so he was debating reselling it o parting it out but now were fixing it.... i tried to get the motor but he wants a diesel now lol trying to see if he wants to go in on a truck if we can find one he needs a front clip and box side I need the driveline....well basically just the motor and some sensors. Just buying a used 6.7L is around $7000+ from where ive seen on the net.

so im thinking of gettng a 6.0L block and heads and starting from there get it ready ahead of time then drop it in maybe over the winter.

also kicking myself city auction here a few months ago and a 2006 ambulance sold for $900.... perfect starting point oh well

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-29-2011, 07:37 PM

I must say I'm partial to the swap.....and I have a 7.3! That must say something. However, I prefer the 12v whereas you guys are talking late model. Easier, cheaper, and bulletproof.

Cost will vary depending on price of the original motor, whether or not you are rebuilding, desired HP, labour ( your free labour vs. paying someone else), etc., etc.

I've seen 12V's for less than $1k on Kijiji. And don't forget that selling your running 6oh will help offset cost.

Once I finish my cosmetic makeover, a Cummins swap is next on the agenda. Nothing sweeter than an 8000lb truck on 37's running 12s quarters.

2001 F350 CC SWB 6spd....currently getting a complete 'makeover'. Stay tuned.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 07-30-2011, 08:04 AM

Layinhp: Maybe your buddy would like a "slightly used" 6.0 in his Dodge. That would make it the perfect truck ....for him lol.
Loosewheel, the 12v are great for building and a lot of fun but it depends what you use the truck for. They are gutless stock and I really don't want a built engine with pipes, smoke and screaming exhaust to run up and down the hwy for hours on end.

I'll happly watch them "work" at the strip or truck pulls though

My reading tells me that the best candidate for the swap is the 2003 5.9. That gives you the most power out of the box from Cummins and pre EGR. I think some of the really early 2004's might qualify as well. I would not want the 6.7, my understanding is it has more issues in general than the 5.9.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode