Questions about 6.0 improvements... - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
Diesel Engines Intake, Exhaust, Tunes, and Mechanical Info

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-10-2011, 08:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Questions about 6.0 improvements...

So, I've begun the tear down of my 6.0 powerstroke and because I have all winter, I'm taking my time and documenting everything and taking plenty of pictures. I want to do this right and hopefully only once. I will be replacing head gaskets and installing new head studs. Some other things will be done at the same time. Parts and questions below:

Factory head gaskets

ARP head studs

STC fitting upgrade

Updated oil cooler

EGR (already deleted)

FPR blue spring upgrade

6.4L Banjo bolt upgrade
Why not just drill out original ones?

HCFM drain plug upgrade
Also considering an AirDog pump...anybody done it? Worth it?

Fumoto oil drain plug

Scangauge II
Already have SCT Livewire...make sense to have both? Can both be hooked up at the same time?

O-rings
Probably replace all o-rings as I go. Injector o-rings for sure. Makes sense. Is there a kit available or they individual?

Anything else I should be doing or some pointers? Thanks.

The Hauler - '05 F-350 4x4 CC Dually 6.0 Powerstroke
The Project - '90 Ford Bronco 4x4
The wife's - '11 Ford Escape
For every minute you are away from work...you can add two minutes to your life!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 10:26 AM

http://www.bulletproofdiesel.com/Hea...ord%206.0l.htm

http://www.bulletproofdiesel.com/pro...%20package.htm

http://www.bulletproofdiesel.com/Hig..._p/6000034.htm

these were 3 link given to me by the person whos probly going to do my eng upgrade just got to order the parts just an idea on kits

2007 F350 6.0L Ext cab short box 4x4
2000 F150 5.4L Reg cab short box 2wd
?? always looking for a new ford project !
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-11-2011, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks. Bulletproof does make excellent stuff. I already have the ARP studs and I'll be making a parts list for the other stuff and see what my buddies will do for me at the dealer. Then I'll go from there.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 06:52 PM

- Drilling the stock banjo`s will make them weak and will most likely snap off (bad). 6.4`s are much better and not very expensive.

- Scangauge II is a great gauge for the price. My favorite upgrade! It can show readings not many if any can show (FICM for example). Small and compact, even kinda matches the factory gauge colour. You will not be able to run both. There is only 1 OBDII port. Even if you install another port it will not work. The port does not like to share.

- Change the dummy plugs to prevent a future leak. Install the updated turbo drain.

- CCV mod, Zoodad mod, Syn. oil, Revxx.

- Flush the coolant system with VC-9 and then again with Restore (this will help save your new oil cooler),Coolant filter, ELC coolant,

- Change the drivers side I.C. pipe from plastic to the earlier style steel.

- Performance intake elbow. No HP gain but provides a port for boost pressure. When tuned, the factory gauge, or any gauge plugged into the OBDII port is not accurate. Tuners fool the computer for more HP.

- Install fuel pressure gauge, Pyro, true boost gauge (above), oil pressure gauge (dash gauge is nothing but a switch). Your SCT will not read most of these!

- Might consider : 03 turbo, Batmowheel, rear fuel cross over line or RR return, Go Go direct drive trans solenoid. The list goes on and on...lol. I don`t want you to get board over the winter.............Hillz

2005 F250 SCSB 4x4
-ARP studs, PowerMax turbo, Custom tuned SCT, Accufab intake elbow, Coolant filter, Oil bypass filter, Autometers and Scangauge, Zoodad + fast idle mods, Gogo direct solenoid, 4" turbo back MagnaFlow duals,2.5 levelling kit, Air bag helpers, Cowl hood, 7.5` Arctic plow
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Hillz.

I have done some of the upgrading already. Done the CFM intake, steel intercooler tubes, turbo drain tube, egr delete kit, exhaust, and CCV mod (like this one).

Still debating the zoodad mod. It gets pretty wet here. Not sure if that's in my best interest. Also debating an AirDog II to replace the HFCM. And from what I've read about the ADII is that I shouldn't need the blue spring upgrade as it has a built in adjustable regulator.

Will be getting full gauges (including Scangauge II) for sure as well as replacing the injector o-rings and any other o-rings/gaskets while doing heads, including stand pipes, dummy plugs and STC fitting. And I will get the 6.4 Banjo bolts.

Will look into the fuel crossover line. I assume it's the same idea as the one I had on my '95 7.3. Also, just read on a site that offers a coolant return line which improved the cooling system.

I'm sure there's more to come. What's the RR Return?

Oh, and my wife is ok with all this...man I love her.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 11-24-2011, 08:36 PM

-My truck really liked the Zoodad. I understand what your saying regarding the rain. I blocked my screen off for the winter being I plow.
-Don`t forget about the flush and coolant filter (see my filter mod post to see why)
-You will need the fitting for your fuel pressure gauge. I got mine from Dfuser.
-I have thought about the Air Dog, but with the blue spring and my rear cross over I maintain 62-67 PSI even under load.
- Bullet proof makes a real nice Regulated return. I stopped in and saw it in person last year when I was in AZ. for vacation. The rear cross over line just connects both fuel passages together (head to head). The regulated return has a flow of fuel through the heads and back to the pump. This maintains a set fuel pressure. I think the AirDog kinda does that as well. Both the cross over line or the RR return connect to the rear fuel passage plugs in the heads. You would have to read up more on this as I do not know all the details. Sounds like you have yourself a project...........Hillz

2005 F250 SCSB 4x4
-ARP studs, PowerMax turbo, Custom tuned SCT, Accufab intake elbow, Coolant filter, Oil bypass filter, Autometers and Scangauge, Zoodad + fast idle mods, Gogo direct solenoid, 4" turbo back MagnaFlow duals,2.5 levelling kit, Air bag helpers, Cowl hood, 7.5` Arctic plow

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode