Oil Filters - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts
Diesel Engines Intake, Exhaust, Tunes, and Mechanical Info

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

Oil Filters

just a warning... if you dont know the history of oil changes for your 6.0L buy both types of filters..... that is if you plan to do them yourself (edit) and return the one you dont use as its hard to get them after hrs

went to do my oilchange at a buddies shop go to pull the filter out found out it was the cheaper variety filter that comes with the plastic cap already installed, well when unscrewed it seperated the cap from the filter and only left a flush mount on top of the filter so it wouldnt reseal under operating pressure or it may have but couldnt be sure and i wasnt going to pump unfiltered oil through the motor

of course i bought the Ford filter thinking it was an 07 and they wouldnt have changed out the ford cap, wrong

so we call around only place thats open is crappy tire (this is around 7:30pm) and all they carry is just the cartridge style without the cap so my buddy had to call in a favour and get a friend to open up there UAP store and get a filter ended up going this style again only because its all that was available

will be getting a Ford proper cap for the next oilchange cant wait to get the cost for that thing.....

2007 F350 6.0L Ext cab short box 4x4
2000 F150 5.4L Reg cab short box 2wd
?? always looking for a new ford project !

Last edited by LayinHp; 02-26-2010 at 01:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 12:40 AM

Garage
Yeah, oil changes aren't cheap for the Ford diesel's. I used to do my own on my older 7.3 and then when I bought my '05 6.0 I took it to the local dealer where a buddy works. It was still under warranty so they took care of some problems and covered it under the warranty. I did pay $120 bucks for the oil change, and I noticed on the bill there was only a $15 labor charge. So I figured that was OK as the oil filter and oil aren't cheap anyway...and I don't have to deal with the mess and disposal.

(Can't wait to get the EGR delete kit I bought on EBAY...supposed to help these monsters)

The Hauler - '05 F-350 4x4 CC Dually 6.0 Powerstroke
The Project - '90 Ford Bronco 4x4
The wife's - '11 Ford Escape
For every minute you are away from work...you can add two minutes to your life!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 01:22 AM
zip

I would get that cap asap. There are 3 filters that I know of that are proper fitting. Wix etc. are all a bit short.

Racor, Motorcraft, and Fram are Racor made. I heard a rumbling somewhere that Fram may have changed.

Chris

03 F350 Crew Cab 4x4 S/B Lariat,Procomp 2" leveling kit, zoodad mod, straight pipe
75 F150, 79 Bronco

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 02:03 AM Thread Starter

the $15 labour must be for purley how simple it is lol filter right front and center on top and drain easy to get to it takes longer to pour in the oil then to do the actual oilchange

the one small fuel filter is easy to get to the second one on the frame rail is a bit more tricky but very do-able

plan to get into more mods,upgrades in the spring/summer when i can do them outside that or get crappy rims so i can run the truck into the garage at least on just the rims

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 02:06 AM Thread Starter

and yea going to get a price on that cap asap and probly change it as soon as i get one even though i just put this filter in....

oh yeah and you wouldnt believe markup on filters..... UAP makes a killing !! i paid cost at $15 for there cheap oilfilter they retail it for $32....

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LayinHp View Post
the one small fuel filter is easy to get to the second one on the frame rail is a bit more tricky but very do-able
You will get a diesel bath on your arm when you do the frame rail filter unless you are on a hoist. There ain't no and/buts/ors, it's gonna happen so expect it .

The only way I have not tried is with the fuel tank really low on fuel and the rear of the truck jacked way up, there's a rumour that it will help
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-26-2010, 09:57 AM

Hey LayinHp,

About a year ago I went through the exact same thing you encountered with your oil filter change.

The place I bought my used 06 6.0 ltr from early last year did a service on the truck before I picked it up, which included an oil change.

When it was time to do my first oil change, on advice from a friend of mine that is a mechanic with the Toronto City Works, I bought a Ford oil filter cartridge (@ $41.00 !!!). He said they had a lot of problems within their fleet trucks with using aftermarket filters.

Like you, when I removed the oil filter, I discovered there was a Wix filter and cap assembly in my truck. I removed the Wix cap from the filter and was going to use it with the Ford filter, but then noticed that the Wix filter is taller than the Ford filter!

You are correct, you can only use the Wix filter/cap as an assembly, if you use the Wix cap with a Ford, or any other factory fit filter, the oil will not get filtered, as it can bypass the shorter filter!

As mentioned above, you should change out your cap asap to a factory cap/filter. My mechanic friend said that they had so many problems (lazy start up, motor failures) with aftermarket oil filters, especially Wix, that they only use Ford, or International filters on their Ford 6.0 ltr truck motors.

I had to buy a new oil filter cap from Ford as well, get ready for it...................................for only $98.00! If I were to do it again, I'd buy one of those nice billet aluminum ones as they cost about the same, or less.

I now use International fuel and oil filters, they cost approx. half of what Ford charges for the same filters!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 09:41 AM Thread Starter

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvnTwCujBJE

found this vid from thedieselstop site, informative.

theres an international dealer in brantford i will look them up for the next oilchange to get the filters from thanks also if that caps $100 then i will look elsewhere for one even if its used

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil G. View Post
You will get a diesel bath on your arm when you do the frame rail filter unless you are on a hoist. There ain't no and/buts/ors, it's gonna happen so expect it .

The only way I have not tried is with the fuel tank really low on fuel and the rear of the truck jacked way up, there's a rumour that it will help
lol yeah i was pulling the drain plug for the oil and my buddy pulled the rail fuel filter off he got a bit of diesel everywhere and we even had it on a hoist the crossmember makes it a pain to get at

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2010, 12:56 PM

hahaha, I love it, LayinHp!

"Ya, uh, Joe. I'm busy with this damn oil plug. Would you mind just spinning that fuel filter cap off for me and sliding a new filter in there?"

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode