NEED HELP: Wrench Symbol - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-28-2011, 09:45 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Wrench Symbol

I own 2008 F250 with a 5.4 Triton. The unit has 55000 Km on it. About a month ago the wrench symbol showed up on the dash display, it stayed on for about 5 minutes and then it went out. I checked for error codes and there were none. I read the manual and it said if it goes out basically don't worry about it. This evening I was out with the unit and the symbol came on again and you could feel that the truck went into a different operating mode, this time it stayed on for about 30 seconds and again it went out. Again I checked for an error code, again none showed up, however I may have been to late as the symbol had been turned off.

I tow a 5th wheel and this concerns me as I do not want it to go into limp mode for an unkown reason.

Have any of you folks any ideas as to why this is happening
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 12:14 AM

Send a message via MSN to Northern Supercrew
Might have to check for codes while the MIL on if ya can...Can't say this has ever happened to my 08. The times the MIL has come on, it has stayed on and i found codes. What are you using as a code reader?

2013 f150 Ecobeast
3.55 E locker
FX4 Screw
SSI tuned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice

I have a Scan Gauge II installed. According to the advertisement it is suposed to read the codes.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 04:44 PM

Send a message via MSN to Viper238
have you done anything to the truck?
cold air intake? programmer? etc..
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-29-2011, 05:38 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

No I have not done anything to it. It has always been serviced by Ford.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2011, 11:59 PM

i had the same light before and truck went into limp mode. got her home and shut her down. start her up and light was gone but I was able to pull a code as it is saved in the memory and the code should go away until you clear it with the obd2 or disconnect the battery. I guess I am saying that you should have a code stored even when the light goes away. try a different code reader, i got one you can borrow, I am in Leduc.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-08-2011, 09:10 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonw View Post
i had the same light before and truck went into limp mode. got her home and shut her down. start her up and light was gone but I was able to pull a code as it is saved in the memory and the code should go away until you clear it with the obd2 or disconnect the battery. I guess I am saying that you should have a code stored even when the light goes away. try a different code reader, i got one you can borrow, I am in Leduc.
Thanks for the offer.

I took the truck into Sherwood Park Ford and they checked it all out. Incidentally on the way to my appointment for service I got another code which was the engine service symbol along with the wrench symbol, the wrench symbol went out but the service symbol stayed on. Ford diagnosed the problem and replaced the brake switch, go figure.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipmunk View Post
Thanks for the offer.

I took the truck into Sherwood Park Ford and they checked it all out. Incidentally on the way to my appointment for service I got another code which was the engine service symbol along with the wrench symbol, the wrench symbol went out but the service symbol stayed on. Ford diagnosed the problem and replaced the brake switch, go figure.
Well I am pleased took the truck for an extended trip this last weekend and did not get any codes showing up. I guess the brake switch must have been the problem.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-13-2011, 11:37 PM

Send a message via MSN to Northern Supercrew
Glad you got that little gremlin figured out..and thanks for posting the solution.

2013 f150 Ecobeast
3.55 E locker
FX4 Screw
SSI tuned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-01-2012, 01:12 AM

The wrench icon visited me yesterday, a couple of times, while I was stuck in stop and go freeway traffic northbound at 5pm trying to get to the tunnel. Ugh.

The truck didn't seem to go into limp mode. Restarting the truck - I had plenty of time in traffic to do so - did clear it the first time but it came back. All gone since then. And I'm out of traffic now too. Yay.

Going to keep an eye out for it but am not going to take it to the dealer unless it returns.