NEED HELP: The Oil Conundrum Synthetic or Conventional - Page 2 - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 09:35 PM

I would think it would be a good idea to use synthetic in any turbo engine because it is far less likely to coke up around the bearings, especially if you're not in the habit of letting it run a bit to cool down. Also as others have said, it's easier on the motor in cold temps to use synthetic. What has Ford told you to do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 01:14 AM

After break in period, I have always moved to synthetic oil. I use Castrol Syntec which goes on sale at Costco every once in a while. My other car is a Porsche Boxster which only uses syntetic motor oil as directed by the factory. Friends have raced Porsches as well as IROC Camero's in the past with the factory stating that the motor is nicely broken in (they had to turn the motor in at the end of the racing season). Others who used conventional oil had worn out motors.

Synthetic may cost a bit more but provides better lubrication at all temps as well as one may get up to 10% better milage using it. This is more noticable in the winter with cold temperatures. Oil is the motors "blood" so why noy use the best to keep it going longer?

2010 FX-4 5.4 SCREW, Luxury, short box, nav/camera
Retired after 38 years with the same company!
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaak View Post
Synthetic may cost a bit more but provides better lubrication at all temps as well as one may get up to 10% better milage using it. This is more noticable in the winter with cold temperatures. Oil is the motors "blood" so why noy use the best to keep it going longer?
I don't see how you'd get better mileage? Yes, viscosity is temperature dependent -- but once the engine is up to normal running temperature, it should stay there, within a fairly narrow range (195 - 205 deg F for most modern engines), assuming your thermostat and cooling system are working properly.

A running engine should stay in that range at even bitterly cold temperatures, which you'll never see in Toronto. The oil viscosity, whether synthetic or conventional, will be the same.

NB- not talking about racing engines above.

If Princess Auto were a real girl, I'd ask her to marry me.

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-03-2012, 10:35 AM

Send a message via MSN to Viper238
Yes the oil has the same viscosity. But he's saying the oil is slippery and allows the engine to rotate faster/easier as well

I've noticed an increase in fuel mileage on my last 2 vehicles as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 12:43 AM

Yes, that is what I was getting at. Synthetic Oil reduces friction.

From another website: http://www.allpar.com/eek/synthetic.html

Roger Crawford wrote: Synthetic oil has a better shear capability, better cling, and [better resistance to] thermal breakdown, an issue in a daily driver.

Dan Stern added: Other [advantages] include much lower pour point, much less viscosity change over time, and flat-out better lubricity. All of these are quite advantageous indeed--even in daily drivers. That lower pour point is particularly good--it means that oil gets where it needs to be much more rapidly after a cold start, especially in very cold weather. ... What you refer to as "thermal breakdown" manifests itself as sludge and that tarlike goo that comes out of your crankcase every 3k miles. It happens on daily drivers! If you're not driving in conditions that let you take advantage of the lower pour point of synthetic oil, then you're most likely driving in conditions that let you take advantage of the resistance to thermal breakdown.

The additives in oil reduce have a limited life, thus waiting longer between changes has disadvantages because the additives lose their effectiveness

Synthetic by design is less prone to breakdown, and does not need the quantity of additives necessary to make dino juice an "effective" oil. Synthetic is much less prone to coking, and less prone to varnish than conventional oil.

Dan Stern wrote, “Oil additives do not deteriorate over time--only over usage. Some modes of usage are harder on oil than others. Lots of short trips put lots of water and acid, etc. in the oil, and things never get hot enough to boil off these contaminants. That's why you hear to change the oil every x,000 miles or x months--because if you're not driving x,000 miles over a period of x months, you're making this kind of short-trip contamination.”

2010 FX-4 5.4 SCREW, Luxury, short box, nav/camera
Retired after 38 years with the same company!

Last edited by Jaak; 06-04-2012 at 01:09 AM.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 02:18 AM

I'll grant that synthetic does have certain properties which make it somewhat better in very specific applications, but I'm pretty skeptical about the claim of increased fuel mileage. The coefficient of friction would have to be an order of magnitude lower than for conventional oil to justify the price difference to pay for any theoretical fuel saving. Synthetic oil isn't magic.

http://www.government-fleet.com/Arti...t-Edition.aspx
Quote:
Hunt called two professors from the mechanical engineering department at the University of Windsor to oversee the lab work. Two Ford-certified master technicians employed by the Windsor Police Force drove more than 60,000 test miles in three vehicles: a 2000 4.8L V-8 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor with 117,000 miles on the odometer and two 2005 Chrysler Sebrings with 65,000 miles and 41,000 miles, respectively, on 2.7L V-6 engines.

Claim: Full synthetic motor oil will increase fuel economy

Conclusion: Myth

Test Results: The Sebring with 65,000 miles covered 23.19 miles per gallon on conventional 5W-30 motor oil and 22.74 mpg on a full synthetic motor oil of the same grade — a decrease of 1.97 percent.
Unless someone can come up with conclusive evidence that synthetic oil significantly increases fuel mileage, I'm sticking with that.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, regarding engine wear, how many modern vehicles are scrapped because the engine "wore out"? Every old car and truck I've ever owned has gone bye-bye because everything BUT the engine was trashed and no longer worth fixing. The engine is the least of my worries.

While synthetic is useful in certain circumstances, for most people with regular vehicles, I'd suggest using synthetic is like buying magnetic insoles for your shoes. It makes you feel like your doing something proactive, but in reality probably has very little or no real-world effect.

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 03:16 AM

Send a message via MSN to Viper238
Quote:
Originally Posted by b4000 View Post
I'll grant that synthetic does have certain properties which make it somewhat better in very specific applications, but I'm pretty skeptical about the claim of increased fuel mileage. The coefficient of friction would have to be an order of magnitude lower than for conventional oil to justify the price difference to pay for any theoretical fuel saving. Synthetic oil isn't magic.

http://www.government-fleet.com/Arti...t-Edition.aspx

Unless someone can come up with conclusive evidence that synthetic oil significantly increases fuel mileage, I'm sticking with that.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, regarding engine wear, how many modern vehicles are scrapped because the engine "wore out"? Every old car and truck I've ever owned has gone bye-bye because everything BUT the engine was trashed and no longer worth fixing. The engine is the least of my worries.

While synthetic is useful in certain circumstances, for most people with regular vehicles, I'd suggest using synthetic is like buying magnetic insoles for your shoes. It makes you feel like your doing something proactive, but in reality probably has very little or no real-world effect.
Looks like we will have to agree to disagree and i'll continue to get better gas mileage by using full synthetic oil!
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper238 View Post
Looks like we will have to agree to disagree and i'll continue to get better gas mileage by using full synthetic oil!
How dare you defy me!?

post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 06:07 AM

Garage
Who the hell are Roger Crawford and Dan Stern ?

801A - 6550 lb bundle of joy
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-04-2012, 08:23 AM

I run with Royal Purple Synth. in my truck.
Not only does it reduce wear ,but also reduces running temps and increases HP. along the drive line.

Check out the head to head testing clips on youtube for yourself, its all there for you to see.

Press on regardless!