Rattle/Detonation - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Rattle/Detonation

Ok, I got a '00 F-250 SD, with a V-10. It has a c.a.i. headers, no cat, upgraded y-pipe, throttle body spacer. and one heat range cooler plugs, It may be a coincedence, but after I had the headers installed I would get what sounded like detonation under certain load and gear in hot wheather, very hard to notice, and was gone come winter, that winter I upgraded the y-pipe and all was fine till the following summer where it really started to rattle, under loads after a period of time, sounded more like a flutter/cricket kinda noise adn would get worse after an oil change, which lead me to beleive chain guide's, I wanted to try a few more things before going in, took out the tune setting it back to stock would make the noise go away for awhile, which lead me to beleive a possible fuel problem. it was hardly noticeable but progressivly got worse, I disconnected my pcv valve, no change, mass air, it overfueled like hell but still no change which made me beleive timing guides once again, as time went on it slowly got worse and more noticeable after an oil change, again leading me to t/guides, I changed my battery cause it was getting very tired, and bam, the truck had more power the noise was gone, thought I didnt have enough voltage to the fuel pump everything was fine, now in the cooler wheather it has started, what sounds like detonation now, agin very faint, tried premium but very little change, noticed with the oil down a bit the noise was less. fuel pressure is at 30lbs idle, 36 under a mild load. Any ideas what I should try next, besides torching it, I love this truck but it has been nothing but a nightmare, the dealership in my area is the pits and really dont trust them after I asked them to check my brake issue, which they said where fine, but lead to me rolling it on it's side, turne dout to be a master cyl. I just have a lot of money into it and it only has 170k on and would like to get the most out of it, soory for the long post just at my wits end, Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-12-2012, 07:38 PM

Taking out the oil change thing the first place I would look would be the headers. Maybe retorque and check for leaks. Are you running canned tune or custom tune to compensate for no cats etc? I would think stock tune would be way too lean with that setup.

Such is life. Just passing through.

04 F150 FX4 Screw 5.4 with couple of mods
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-13-2012, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Not running any tune right now the factory canned diablo was making it run really rich and stall once and awhile, but makes you think about the lean condition, after the headers it was very minor in hot weather, and then really bad after the y-pipe upgrade, although I have ran the tune and then tok it out while testing and the noise still came back, not to say it is maybe to lean period, may have to take it to someone that can tune. I checked all the exhaust bolts but will do it again anyways and check spark plugs for torque too, think I am going to check the timing chain tensioners, these newer style vehicles can add up in a hurry and I am alittle reluctant to get to crazy with this thing, has anyone used the federal mogul guides (chinese)