Ford Tough - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts banner

Middle or Full , Who checks their levels and how often?

Oil level...middle or full?

10K views 36 replies 32 participants last post by  I like Fords Too 
#1 ·
Well I have always put customers oil in the middle of the dip stick, always thought that was normal to people but some have problems with it and other cars are picky and set off a "ADD OIL" light

What do you set your oil for? MIDDLE or FULL

#9 ·
Always Full !
more oil = cooler happier engine internals
less oil = hotter no so happy engine internals
less oil + customer with no brains who never checks oil = failed molecular bond between wallet and cash !

#19 ·
Full, but only after the system has pressurized and reasonable circulated.

#23 ·
Close to full, but never over. Theory being that if you over-fill, it can cause the oil to foam-up from getting churned by the crankshaft, air gets entrained in the oil, and that ain't good.

#24 ·
I've had them a litre over full, no ill effects. As long as you're not up to the windage tray (or crank slapping in the oil) whats the problem then? I imagine that under hard acceleration or braking you're crank's slapping oil, and not to mention off camber situations when 4x4ing.. I wouldn't put too much thought into the matter, as long as there's oil on the dipstick you're doing fine IMO.

Ross, you're right about CAT engines though. I gave up trying to keep most of mine at the full mark. For whatever reason they always burned/leaked it off but keeping it at the 1/2 or min mark they stopped losing oil. Never knew why but I didn't care to question it either, just left it where it was happy (always figured because they just marked the dipsticks too high). Cummins on the other hand, I found they like being full.. Detroits don't matter regardless, they'll just leak it out anyways lol. Just different quirks of different engines I guess. As long as the top end ain't rattling and no oil warning lights come on, I don't care where it sits. LR

#28 ·
Fill till just before the full mark. Tech's now a days just dial the amount and fill without checking the dip stick. Had this issue with my 2008 Edge when they kept overfilling it. One dealer did it twice before I finally talked to the Service manager and pointed out what the manual said the fill should be. He noted it and made sure all his techs knew it. He assumed it was the higher level and he then checked his 2008 Edge. It was overfilled by half a liter. He changed his ... Why don't the tech's check levels these days???????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.