losing power - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
Forum Newbie

Send a message via MSN to nightdryver
losing power

I seem to have a problem,I have an f150 with a 5.4 and its losing power and bogging down under full throttle.have changed the fuel filter and the k&n air filter doesnt look dirty I was thinking maybe injector is faulty ,anyone have any ideas,oh and the engine light came on after the dealership put in new fuel filter.truck runs fine until i come on to it ,and starts without any problem so I doubt its water in the fuel.Presntly I am a couple hours west of grande prairie so getting into a shop is not gonna happen for a couple weeks,unless the engine light starts flashing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 11:00 AM

OK not to be the glass have empty guy but did you actually see the dealer change the fuel filter or did they just tell you they did? If you have or know anyone with an ODB II code reader it will tell you want code is tripping the CEL. What some people do is go buy a cheap code reader from Canadian Tire, use to get the codes then just return it saying it doesn't work on my truck.

Whaddya mean I dont pay my bills?? Whydya think I'm broke!!

03 Lariat Crew 4x4 Line-x bedliner, Truxedo Lo-Pro QT Tonneau.
RIP [97 XL 4.2L V6]
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2008, 12:26 AM

Send a message via MSN to MRGADGET
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightdryver View Post
I seem to have a problem,I have an f150 with a 5.4 and its losing power and bogging down under full throttle.have changed the fuel filter and the k&n air filter doesnt look dirty I was thinking maybe injector is faulty ,anyone have any ideas,oh and the engine light came on after the dealership put in new fuel filter.truck runs fine until i come on to it ,and starts without any problem so I doubt its water in the fuel.Presntly I am a couple hours west of grande prairie so getting into a shop is not gonna happen for a couple weeks,unless the engine light starts flashing.
Dude how Old is your truck...10 years,might need a new Cat I had the same prob with my Astrosport AWD and I put in a new Cat and everything was wonderfull.They do tend to fill up with crap after awile.

97 Expedition EB/Cadilac Escalade White/Ghost Flames/22"Boss Wheels.

"Have you done it in a Ford lately?"

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 10:17 AM

I would rule out injector/spark plugs because a misfire causes the engine to shake.

Things that will cause bogging off the top of my head:
- old coil packs
- fuel filter installed backwards
- weak fuel pump
- TPS sensor going out
- failed DPFE sensor
- failed EGR valve
- bad gas
- slipping torque converter
- busted plastic intake manifold
- vacuum leak
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 10:15 PM

Send a message via MSN to Cheapshot
I'm going to jump on the cat band wagon, or the bunk fuel. I think the biggest way to tell if you're cats are plugged is if you get a friend to rev it up and watch/hold your hand over the exhaust and then compare it to a similar displacement truck. You should get your answer that way.

So if you're a couple hours west of Grand Prarie are you in Dawson Creek?

2007 F-150 Lariat Chrome - HD Taillights, Tinted side windows
1995 F-150 XL - Tinted Windows, Dents, scratches, Eagle Alloy Wheels, Skull Shift knob.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 06:57 PM

I had the same complaint, it went on for a while. I replaced all the plugs, EGR, and only CHECKED the coil packs. One coil pack was a little funny so I replaced it as well, it's hit or miss with the stupid coil packs but the problem was there some times and kept coming back. My mechanic kept telling me to change more coil packs, but holly crap $$$$$. I ended up with a misfire code on #3 and #8 (with my cheap OBDII from Canadian Tire), I changed those packs and it runs like a dream now.

Hope my pain helps you.

!!#4979, Kansas City April 12 2001!!

Pictures
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 08:13 PM

Thumbs down

My mechanic kept telling me to change more coil packs, but holly crap $$$$$. I ended up with a misfire code on #3 and #8 (with my cheap OBDII from Canadian Tire), I changed those packs and it runs like a dream now.
Dude that's the same one I bought at canadian tire too,And it's saved my ass more than 5 time's and some friend's car trouble's to.Everyone should have one of these,Instead of paying 100,00 to get it scanned.It's paid for itselfe 8 time's allready.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 05:11 PM

I can't even tell you how many of my friends have BORROWED that friggin thing, but your right it's better than getting it scanned at the dealer $$$. At least I could help people save some money. It's to bad guys like us spend the money and others reap the reward but thats cool.

!!#4979, Kansas City April 12 2001!!

Pictures
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 08:27 PM

Tell me about it.I had to buy a special tool kit to fix the #7 spark plug the engine decided to spit out.
510.00 for the tool and 5 day's for it to get here.If you have the 5.4ltr you know what I'm talkin about.So now if it happens to someone else in my area they can rent it from me for 100.00 per plug.Nice Tool kit though.

Then I had to buy a slide hammer to replace the Driver's side front wheel bearing.(the hole damb hub with the abs in it.)But what can I say I got some cool tool's.