NEED HELP: IAC - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

IAC

Guys....
I have a rough idle.....this is what i get..on start up she runs at 1500 for a few seconds then drops down to 1000..as she gets warmer she then drops to about 700.....she runs great on hwy..very full of response BUT when i come to a rest at lights etc..she wants to stall it seems.

i have put new fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator in and checked the plugs..they r in great condition..put some injector cleaner thru system....stripped and cleaned throttlebody and agr ports..none of which was very bad....done the test on my agr valve and that is working ok...i wonder if the IAC is playing up and needs replacement...also i have thought maybe the dpfe needs replacement as well, i have old style light coloured alluminum type

question is..if the IAC is buggered would this effect the cold and hot idle..I assume so but no nothing being a brit just learning about these engines....and also if my dpfe is also buggered would this in turn effect the IAC as well.

like i say..for a 97 with 401000 on her she runs great..just this is annoying.

thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 07:18 PM

Send a message via MSN to taisa899
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 09:12 PM

All you may have to do is some cleaning
It does sound like IAC

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 09:44 PM

Send a message via MSN to taisa899
could also be vacuum

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Nitrous is like a beautiful girl with an STD. You know you want to hit it but you're afraid of the consequences
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 10:43 PM

You could take off the IAC valve and spray some seafoam deep creep in it to try and clean it out that may help out some

http://www.fordtough.ca/forums/signaturepics/sigpic435_3.gif
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-27-2008, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brit-can View Post
Guys....
I have a rough idle.....this is what i get..on start up she runs at 1500 for a few seconds then drops down to 1000..as she gets warmer she then drops to about 700.....she runs great on hwy..very full of response BUT when i come to a rest at lights etc..she wants to stall it seems.

i have put new fuel filter and fuel pressure regulator in and checked the plugs..they r in great condition..put some injector cleaner thru system....stripped and cleaned throttlebody and agr ports..none of which was very bad....done the test on my agr valve and that is working ok...i wonder if the IAC is playing up and needs replacement...also i have thought maybe the dpfe needs replacement as well, i have old style light coloured alluminum type

question is..if the IAC is buggered would this effect the cold and hot idle..I assume so but no nothing being a brit just learning about these engines....and also if my dpfe is also buggered would this in turn effect the IAC as well.

like i say..for a 97 with 401000 on her she runs great..just this is annoying.

thanks.
the idle speeds sound normal ,but when you come to stop does the idle drop almost to stall than flare up to above normal than return to normal?have replaced a lot of iac valves on 97-03 engines,you can first try cleaning it with air intake cleaner(won't damage o2 sensors)also you may want to check how clean the mas air flow sensor is(it's right after the air filter)let us know how you make out.

a moments silence for the shelbyx,i hope her new owner enjoys as much.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-28-2008, 02:51 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for replies so far....no it does not flare up when i come to a stop, well of course when i put it in N then they come up a bit but not to a point where she runs smooth..if this makes sense..it just seems to want to stall.....if i knock her into nuetral then that helps but idle still low..well i thinks so..hot idle is about 700

forgot to say that when i did the other things i also checked and cleaned mass sensor with electrical spray..as far as my eyes could see the element was intact....when i took the TB off i did look at the IAC it was pretty gunked up...i did have a go at cleaning..but i didnt use the stuff you mentioned.and i did use a very small flat head screw driver to help get some of the gunk out....i was reading about how sensitive these are to some fluids and wonder if i could have messed it up..

lol this all started some time ago when i had lean banks one and two codes...strange thing is after doing all this stuff the ecm just went out on a run back from local gas store..but i still cant get to the bottom of this low idle. i also uplugged the IAC from the TB and the engine idle drops well down to just about stall, and picks up when i plug it back in again.

i also have that silly noise from the evap canister that is linked by the green tube to the egr valve as well....happens on shut down..is this not linked to the same system? the nearer it gets to normal operating temp is when this rough idle starts and she sort of has a little shake to her.

just another question..remember I am learning her..does this item apply to the f150.......
''Idle Air Bypass Valve - Regulates the amount of air needed to maintain a smooth idle''

Last edited by brit-can; 10-28-2008 at 03:34 AM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

today i took her for the first decent run in 6 months..been off work because had to have screws put into my ankle...any way..this time the idle was erratic as heck.....nothing up on the dash for the ecm dispaly...so does this mean its time to get a new IAC valve?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 08:28 PM

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-05-2008, 09:04 PM

Send a message via MSN to Bush_aholic
I had this same problem I was getting a lean code and low circuit code for bank 2 once in a while with fluctuating idle I was going to change my IAC after I cleaned the MAF and discover no vacuum leaks but once I replaced all my 02 censors problem was solved.

I would still look at the IAC and vaccuum leak first but also look into your 02 censors and while your down there check you haven't snapped any manifold studs, I noticed mine were gone while changing 02 censors and the studs are part of a TSB for that truck

I only drive in the city, to get out of it!!!