2006 5.4 Dealer broke spark plug on last (warranty) visit - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Unhappy 2006 5.4 Dealer broke spark plug on last (warranty) visit

Bad news, I just sent my 2006 F150 FX4 in for some warranty work before it expires (currently at 58,000km or ~35,800miles).

I had them replace the spark plugs as a preventative measure (at my cost) to ensure that I don't run into the feared broken spark plug scenario later on as I didn't want to risk waiting for the recommended 100k.
Well, I got a call this afternoon and they gave me the bad news that 1 plug had broke and to make a long story short, the extra charge for removal would be added to my tab and not covered under warranty. I expressed my feelings on my beleif that I should not have to pay and that it should be warranty covered. They are going to contact Ford and let me know tomorrow.
Where do I stand with this? Anyone have experience (in Canada) on how to deal with this issue?
This dealership has been "the best" I have ever dealt with up to this point and I hope they come through.

Thanks,
Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 07:23 PM

Hey Bill
The plugs are not covered, but this will be up to the dealer, to see if they will cover it
Keep us posted, as I will be doing this soon and my truck is an 08

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 08:17 PM

Yes the spark plugs are not covered however if one brakes in the head the labour for the re&re is or should be. When I had mine done I asked the dealer what there postion was on if one or multiple were to break and they said that the labour for removing and replacing the plugs will not be covered but if one breaks only the labour to rectify the broken plug would be covered. I then had the service manager put it it writing and sign it. (yes I trust no one)

Good luck with your dealer but if they still will not replace the labour under warranty phoone or go to a couple different dealers and ask there position on the subject without divulging your current situation. If they say they will cover the labour have them put it in writing and sign it. Then take the say 3 signed papers and put it on your current dealers counter and ask why if these dealers will cover me then why will you not?

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 09:12 PM

Send a message via MSN to Bush_aholic
^^^^^lol

They broke it, they should fix it, a simple plug changed should not end up costing you a bunch of cash because they can't get them out properly. Tell them how do I know the guy didn't accidentally tighten instead of loosen the plug and broke it off....lol

This and the plugs spitting out should be a recall covered on all new and old models fords, maybe not a fix but full labor and parts fix if it happens......they should own up to these issues. My 99 spit a plug and it cost me a good penny to fix!

I only drive in the city, to get out of it!!!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 10:30 PM

Thats horsesh!t. If it were me I would be an a$$. Make a scene, refuse to leave until I had in writing that they were going to fix at no cost to me. But thats just me. I can have a short fuse sometimes. My truck getting broken blows that fuse. lol. Don't pay for it. Seriously

VMP and 5-Star tuned no more

Buy a hybrid my truck needs your gas
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 10:39 PM

I think they should be liable for this to me it's the same as if the dealer was test driving your truck and they smashed it up do you think their insurance should cover it or yours?

http://www.fordtough.ca/forums/signaturepics/sigpic435_3.gif
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-30-2008, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKRWZ View Post
I think they should be liable for this to me it's the same as if the dealer was test driving your truck and they smashed it up do you think their insurance should cover it or yours?
Took the words out of my mouth... they are responsible for fixing their mistake.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 12:48 AM

it's not us but ford of canada that won't cover it,best bet if they won't cover it is to call ford canada customer service yourself.

a moments silence for the shelbyx,i hope her new owner enjoys as much.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-31-2008, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Well, like I said in my original post that this Dealer has been "the best" I have dealt with yet.
They have agreed to cover the extra cost for extracting the broken plug.

Thanks to all for your input and the information available on this forum. It really helps when you can go in and actually know what your talking about.

I just have one more appointment scheduled for next week to have the carpet changed (leak & wet floor on passenger side) and then thats it for warranty coverage.

I hope this truck is good to me...
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-19-2008, 11:42 PM

I talked to two "Ford Dealer Sevice Managers"both in Hamilton Ont.Eastgate Ford and Airport Ford.They had the same answer--The customer covers the cost of removing broken plugs.This includes vehicles with less then 60,000 Kil.They both stand firm on this.I have started to look outside the dealers and found some shops that will cover any damage done to removing plugs,and their labour time is considerably less in changing plugs.