NEED HELP: 5.4 Engine Missing - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

5.4 Engine Missing

Ok all, first I would like to say thanks, I've posted very little, but have utilized several discussions in the past to keep my truck rolling. Usually I can find the answers with a simple search. And for the most part I've already decided what direction to take first, but a second/several opinions are always better.

So here is the skinny,

'02 FX4 supercrew, Airaid intake/PowerAid Throttle body spacer, Hypertech programmer, Flomaster super 40 duals, 286,000KMS - If I haven't changed it, its factory.P

Problem: severe shudder in idle, under load, under heavy acceleration, and almost dies idling in gear. Gives me codes of P0307, P0308, P1131, P0316 and P1000. I've had the odd miss in the past while accelerating, but never registered any codes. The odd miss would be cured by letting off the throttle then resuming. The most recent and severe issue happened overnight, and was worse than ever, plus it finally gave me codes - bonus I suppose!

So the first plan is to change all plugs and #7/8 COPs this week end.

My questions are:

1. What the heck is the P1000 code mean?
2. The P1131 is Lean on Bank one upstream - I was chalking this one up to spark issue - but if it isn't firing, and there is fuel, isn't "lean" opposite of what the readings should be? Ex-unburned fuel makes exhaust rich, no? this leads to the third:
3. Any trouble with Injectors ever happen "overnight"?
4. Any special tools I should have on hand that make life easier changing plugs/COPS before I strand myself on the farm?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 11:40 PM

A p1000 code is a incomplete drive cycle, for your lean code check for vacuum leaks or cracks in PCV lines, vacuum lines etc. while your at it check the rubber PCV elbow on the back of the throttle body for cracks they tend to leak and cause vacuum leaks/lean codes

BTW bank 1 passenger side /bank 2 drivers side

http://www.fordtough.ca/forums/signaturepics/sigpic435_3.gif
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-09-2009, 11:56 PM

Send a message via MSN to taisa899
bad O2 sensors can also cause lean or rich conditions

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 11:56 AM

contaminated maf sensor can cause lean codes,make sure to clean this with some air intake cleaner,as for changing plugs a good 5/8 plug socket,and a 7mm 1/4 drive swivel socket for the coil bolts makes life easy,and make sure to torque plugs to 13ft lbs(don't overtorque)and use antisieze.

a moments silence for the shelbyx,i hope her new owner enjoys as much.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2009, 02:36 PM

and take off the throttle body spacer. on my 7 years of ford trucks forums. i have read that they are useless and lose power. i had a plenum spacer on mine and it caused problems for my application. But i could be wrong

Really? Its the Internet take it easy.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 02:58 PM

Have you changed any of the other coil packs or are they all still stock?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

No, all the coils were original, until yesterday. I went to Princess Auto on the way home and picked up a handful of disposable tools - extensions and elbows mostly, and in the process found a plug socket for 'Ford V-8 Engines 1997 and newer'. Best $7 I've ever spent. It is basically a socket about 7" long with the rubbers on the inside to hold the plug.

As far as the spacer losing power, I wouldn't know, everything on the intake end was done at the same time before I added exhaust and programmer - for my own piece of mind that I was getting something for my money, and there was a definite difference in bottom end torque with the Poweraid spacer and Airaid intake alone. A family friend owns a shop in Stoon that does a lot of high end mechanic work and handles a fair bit of aftermarket and performance goodies - he swears by Airaid equipment. Plus I bought it at his cost, so its not like he was just making a buck.

Anyways, plugs and coils seems to have fixed the problem, one wet blac plug, and one that didn't seem to healthy.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 09:19 PM

spacers are a waste of money

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Nitrous is like a beautiful girl with an STD. You know you want to hit it but you're afraid of the consequences
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2009, 11:01 PM

Spacers are good for one thing............. a paper weight.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2009, 12:20 AM