NEED HELP: dead cylinder after replacing headgasket - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-19-2009, 09:08 PM Thread Starter

dead cylinder after replacing headgasket

hey there guys i really need everyones help on this problem as it is my sole vehicle and work is too far away to walk. the engine is an I6. I replaced the head gasket two weekends ago and ever since it has been acting as though I have one dead cylinder. All the plugs have spark as a guy at work showed me a trick to do when the truck is running to pull each wire individually and whichever doesnt make the engine run worse is the dead cylinder in this case its the 3rd cyl.

oddly enough he failed to mention to wear gloves, because the distributor can ark to your finger from 1.5" away. Ow, anywho the truck has the dual exhaust three front cylinders to the left, three rear cylinders to the right. my left exhaust has suction, it beats twice then draw then beats twice, draw. both seem to burn rich, but the right side is smoking alot more than the left. they do connect in the middle through a steel casing which houses my O2 sensor. my oil pressure is extremely high it goes right up to the H. the engine idles good but as soon as it hits 1200 it vibrates. and driving is kinda impossible. now a mechanic said to check vac lines and so on and so on. What do I do? Im under the impression that maybe when I put the pushrods into their spots that the exhaust valve may of have not been put into its spot properly and bent the rod. thats all that I can think of now, please any insight would be extremely appreciatedly

Brandan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 02:28 PM

have you tried a manuel compression test?this will tell you if it's got a dead cylinder.

a moments silence for the shelbyx,i hope her new owner enjoys as much.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

what would I be looking for doing a manual compression test

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-20-2009, 08:00 PM

Garage
You need fuel/air, ignition and compression for an engine to work. So you already know you have fuel/air. Now you need to check for spark (easiest)...pull spark plug out and plug it back into the wire, then hold the end of plug against a grounded area. With help turn over engine while doing this and you should see spark across plug. If not, it's a plug or wire issue. If so, check for compression next...you need a compression gauge for this to do it properly. If you don't have access to one you can do the old trick of holding your thumb over the spark plug hole while someone turns engine over. For this, disconnect coil wire so that engine won't start. As the engine turns over you should feel compression trying to push your thumb as the piston comes up on the compression stroke. Try to get a gauge though. Don't get hurt doing any of these "tricks".

The Hauler - '05 F-350 4x4 CC Dually 6.0 Powerstroke
The Project - '90 Ford Bronco 4x4
The wife's - '11 Ford Escape
For every minute you are away from work...you can add two minutes to your life!
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-23-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jensen View Post
what would I be looking for doing a manual compression test
you would be looking for a low reading,then on the low cyl put a couple drops of oil in cyl and retest if comp doesn't come up could have valve or valve timming concerns.

a moments silence for the shelbyx,i hope her new owner enjoys as much.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 03:58 PM

i have run into an intake manifold leaking coolant and washing the cylinder down and soaking the plug easy to check just pull the plug and crank it the coolant will leak out.
the 2 peice manifolds can be fussy to get the gaskets in right.