5.4 detonating? - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 02:00 AM Thread Starter

5.4 detonating?

Well, I've had this issue ever since I bought my truck last year, and now it's finally annoyed me enough that I want to fix it.
It's a 2005 5.4 with 95k on it, and it always sounds like it's pinging as i'm driving, even with a very light load on it I can still hear what sounds to me as detonation. Under heavy acceleration I can hear it, especially when it's shifting. I've tried using premium gas, and it's still there which leads me to believe that it might not be pinging?? Or that it's just so bad that it's just beyond what higher pump octane can remedy.
Within the last 5000k I've put in new motorcraft spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter, even some fuel system treatment, and all the regular maintenance is up to date.
As well, if I hold the idle at roughly 800rpm it sounds almost as if it has a ticking, noisy lifter, the same noise appears on cold start ups until the engine is up to temperature.

Also a side note, the truck does feel like it is lacking some power, pulling a small 3000lb travel trailer, it can't keep 100kph on flat ground in 4th gear.

Any suggestions before I take it to the dealer??

I was thinking of getting a motorvac done to remove possible carbon build up, but it almost seems like something mechanical is the issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-16-2009, 02:36 PM

the 04-07 5.4l has had issues with the cam phazers,if its a ticking/knocking noise that can be heard at hot idle in park and lessons at 1200+rpm.when you take it in to dealer they will find the info in tsb#06-19-8.

a moments silence for the shelbyx,i hope her new owner enjoys as much.