tranny oil in engine - FordTough.ca - Home of Canadian Ford Truck Enthusiasts

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 01:39 AM Thread Starter

tranny oil in engine

i was talking to a co-worker this week about our trucks and what not, and he said that a buddy of his owns a transmission shop and he was told that next time he does an oil change, that before he puts the new oil in, to put tranny fluid in and let it run for 5-10 minutes, then drain it and add the new oil, and apparently the tranny fluid cleans the engine really well. he said that the fluid will go in red and potentially come out black depending how dirty the engine is. so he tried it and said his came out mostly red still, but his truck is fairly new, and old me to try it. but before i do i figure i would ask all you's if you have heard of this before and if it ACTUALLY cleans the engine before i bother spending money on 6L of tranny fluid. thanks in advance

60% of the time, it works, everytime
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 01:55 AM

Hopefully other people will have something to say, but here's my 2 cents.

I'd advise against it. Where I work we had some customers using ATF in manual hydraulic valve actuators instead of hydraulic fluid -- it's what they had handy, and hey it's the same colour, right? In time there was a plague of failures in the form of failed o-rings and seals. Ended up having to do some costly rebuilds on the actuators, and related parts. When I did a bit of research I found that ATF is actually very nasty stuff compared to regular hydraulic fluid. ATF may not be compatible with the materials inside your engine. I wouldn't chance it.

There are some pretty good commercial engine flush products that you add to the old oil before you change it. Also, modern oils have good detergents, and if you change the oil often enough, that should keep things pretty clean.

If Princess Auto were a real girl, I'd ask her to marry me.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 02:46 AM

Send a message via MSN to Lone Ranger
I wouldn't run it straight, but I've heard of guys throwing a litre in with the oil and running it for 10 min. I haven't tried it personally, and albeit I've known about the trick for years I still won't try it.

Change your oil more often (4,000km) and use quality oil if you're that worried about it, safer than using non-recommended oil in your truck Probably works just the same too. LR

Matt T.

'09 Ford Ranger FX4 with a mean owner

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

it does sounds pretty sketchy. thats why i'm pretty hesitant on it and figured i would consult my fellow ford toughers. thanks for the input

60% of the time, it works, everytime
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-24-2009, 11:00 AM

Ref B400's comment, there are thousands of reasons not to switch oils in aa hydraulic system. Every system is designed to run a specific oil based on operating system temp, pressure, and materials used in building the system. Engines have much looser tolerances than a hyd. system. I heard about this years ago too where the detergents in the ATF and the weight will help clean the engine. That being said, one of the fundamentals of engine oil (especially modern oils) is to clean the engine so im my opinion, why put the wrong chemical in the engine and hope for the same result? Thats my two cents.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 07:11 AM

Their are several reasons not to do it. Friction Modifiers, seal condtioners, and the fact you have a product not designed for temperatures that engine oil is designed for.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-06-2010, 09:17 AM

herd of it being done... but on older vehicals like mid 90's and older also it was add a litre or so to your oil let itget to temp and then change it

ive used to the engine cleaner product sold at TSC before in a 2.9L bronco II seemed to work decent

2007 F350 6.0L Ext cab short box 4x4
2000 F150 5.4L Reg cab short box 2wd
?? always looking for a new ford project !